Brazil/South Africa


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Morro de São Paulo
February 14th 2006
Published: February 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone!
it looks like the internet is too slow to check my travel blog on the ship, so when i have time in port i will check it. A quick update on Brazil: I didn't go to the Capoeira school because at the last minute, 2:00 in the morning, I decided to take a 6 hour bus ride to a place called Lencois for a couple of days with some people i barely knew.- turned out to be amazing!
Lencois was beautiful! After the 6 hour hot and sweaty bus ride and several frustrations later, we arrived in Lencois. It's a small town, cobblestown streets. a river running through the town, though not very fast. A local took 5 of us to the local swimming hole and the next day we hiked for about 4 hours to get to a 100 foot waterfall. At one point during the hike, the trail opened up into a river gorge with boulders and rock faces/vegetation surrounding us. We spent an hour boulder jumping through the river to get to the end of the canyon. I wish words could describe how amazing it was- pictures can't even capture the beauty- and it takes too long to publish these photos. So, i'll have to just show everyone when i get back.
Lencois is actually an old diamond mining town and the waterfall is now in a preserved park. So, the locals keep the area exremely clean- in the park (its' not the kind of park you may be thinking of..it's like a preserved wilderness). So in the wilderness you won't find any trash or grafitti, even though tons of people and locals hang out there. Walking along the narrow trail you come across redone huts and frames of old miners houses. We met some locals who performed capoeira with us- i put one on my back because he was a wee little rasta! He was prob. shorter than 5 feet.
So, now i'm writing in South Africa. It's the first day and i need to get out of this internet cafe! I could definitely live here, i'm jealous that Wayne got to for so long. Tomorrow I head for Kruger National Park to camp and see some animals for a couple of days and then hike Table Mountain- which I really want to climb next time I'm back here. Any takers?
Anyway, I hear it's snowing like mad there- go boarding for me, guys! Enjoy the snow- Cheers.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb