Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia
January 30th 2018
Published: January 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

How to fall in love with Bolivia within a week.
First cross the frontier in a luxury bus, then enjoy some quality and cheap breakfast. Head to the observatory in Tarija in the evening and look at the moon through a telescope. Do a wine tour and enjoy amazing landscapes at 5000 meter above sea level during a 4 day tour.

Bolivia has the biggest indigenous population of South America, so you are easy to be spotted as a gringo. We arrived in Tarija on the 23rd of January, where we spent the first two days in a small hostel. We booked a wine tour for the next day in the afternoon, or let's say we thought we did. After coming out from our room at 8:15 to eat some breakfast we found out the tour started at 8:30. After a really quick breakfast we head on to 5 local wineries. We knew that this time of the year is raining season but who cares if you are inside tasting wine and eating cheese. In the evening we shared some milanesa (schnitzel) and wine with other guest from the hostel.
Our next stop was Tupiza where we arrived in the afternoon after a very adventures bus ride through mountains. Booked a tour to the Salary de Uyuni for the next day.
On the tour we experienced amazing scenaries in the Andes between 3600 and 5100 meter above sea level. Due to the heights it was very cold at night. Took some funny picture in the biggest salt desert of the world. Woke up at 4am to catch the sunrise only to find out it was to cloudy. The salt desert had a couple of centimeters of water and it looked like we would drive through a lake.
Arrived in Uyuni and spend a night before heading to Sucre.
Sucre is said to be the most beautiful city in Bolivia and this rumors turned out to be true. The beautiful colonial style of the houses, the clean streets, the relaxed atmosphere and the many interesting museums make it easy to like this place. Had some relaxed time in a cute Bed & Breakfast, exactly what we needed after almost 3 months of travel. Bolivia really is a gem but unfortunately it's rainy season and we miss the sun. Took a bus to la Paz, spent a couple of hours there before heading to Cusco, via lake Titicaca.
Bolivia we will visit you another time, hopefully with more sun 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement






Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb