The End of Argentina and into Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Tupiza
April 18th 2010
Published: April 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So After leaving the south well behind we had arrived in Mendoza, this is the wine capital of South America, so when we arrived and saw we could go on a tour later that day we jumped at it and started to look forward to having a few wines and a good night out. This didn't quite go to plan as we were picked up late then when we did it was full of 60-70 year old's, not exactly what we had expected! Anyway we made the most of it by drinking there wine as they were doing the proper thing of just tasting, so we finished off their glasses. Together with this we past the time by flirting with or tour girls. James got me with a classic though by putting a sticker on my back so once i finished chatting and turned around she started laughing at me! I'm still waiting to take my revenge!
That evening we had some beers and tried to meet up with a girl i used to play hockey with at uni, but due to facebook being our only form of communication we missed each other.

The following day we decided to head up to Salta as we had heard some good things, we got there on Saturday afternoon so we were primed and ready for a big night out. It started early by S.A standards as we went out to the local square with the bars and restaurants for dinner (the square had a very European feel to it). So we had some beers found some really good cheap steaks and it was then time to go to the bars. Salta was looking brilliant to us, this Argentine girl came up and that James and I were a 10/10 beautiful!! (she clearly new what she was talking about!!) It was time to hit the night clubs around 2ish, James fell in love by half past when a girl told him he was beautiful and she loved him, we quickly found out that was as far as her English went! Some how we ended up in another late night club that required a special handshake around 7am however it was that good do we were in back home by 8.00. As you can imagine much of that day was spent in bed as Monday we were getting a 5.30 coach to the Bolivian boarder.

We got to the boarder around lunch time, it was quite a wait at immigration but finally we got to walk across the bridge and into Bolivia. From here we got a train for just over a pound to a town called Tupiza. This was where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are rumoured to have been killed. As we were in Butch Cassidy territory we felt it appropriate to do a horse trek with 2 girls we meet crossing the boarder.
Rebecca and Amy both had experience James and I clearly didn't! We had an awesome time though, seeing cactus, canons and racing the horses. Of course I ended up with the slowest horse, no matter how much I gave him the come on and gave him a bit of heel action, i couldn't get it to trott for more than a few paces! Halfway through James and I swapped, this time though the guide gave James a whip for the horse and it went then!! He never let me forget it.
The next day we had booked a 4 day tour of Bolivia's mountains, Desert and ancient salt flats all in a 4x4. In my jeep was James, Amy and Rebecca. We were really looking forward to it and getting out to see what Bolivia was all about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb