Tupiza & Uyuni


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Tupiza
February 25th 2008
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Salta we bused 7 hours to the border towns ( La Quaica on the Argentine side and Villazon on the Bolivian side). With another stamp in our passport we then proceeded a further 3 hours to Tupiza, 3000m above sea level. He we did a day tour which consisted of seeing the views in a Jeep and on bikes. The last bike ride in the evening we were taken up to 3700m and told to ride 'slowly' back to Tupiza and to keep control around the winding paths with huge drops. What spectacular views though - as you can see from the photo's.

On the 21st of Feb, at 7pm, we got the night train to Uyuni which arrived at 2am. We decided to get the train because this form of transport is a rarity and the bus can get pretty tiresome after 7-10 hours each time. Anyway, Will woke up first on the train and shouted to me, that we should get off we have arrived in Unyui! I have no idea how long the train had been stationary there. Anyway, we slung all our bits together and raced to a door, only for it to be locked. All the way up the train and back the doors were locked and unforunatley we were almost at back of this train. Luckily there was a man outside waiting to get on. After somewhat 20 mins, a guard came and let us off to be reunited with our bags that were on their own, lying on the platform.

After this we had no problems finding a room but we were still hassled for tours at this bizarre time! Always amusing.

The following day we visited the infamous train cemetery in the desert where carriages and engines seemd to have just ground to a halt in the middle of nowhere. We also saw the Uyuni Salt Flat which was breathtaking. Miles and miles of brilliant white salt, covered with a few inches of water to reflect the scenery and sky. Sometimes it was even hard to judge where the horizon lay.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Tunnel to TupizaTunnel to Tupiza
Tunnel to Tupiza

On the bikes.
SceneryScenery
Scenery

Tupiza
The train cemeteryThe train cemetery
The train cemetery

Will in Uyuni
Old carriages strewn aboutOld carriages strewn about
Old carriages strewn about

Uynui, The Train Cemetery


Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 63; dbt: 0.2169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb