Playing with Dynamite and Walking with Dinosaurs / Jugando con Dinamita y Caminando con Dinosaurios


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Potosi
March 4th 2006
Published: June 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Potosí & Sucre


We are putting together a web page to be able to show you some of the movies we are taking along the way. It's still "under construccion" but we thought you might like a sneak preview...

To see some funny movies related to this blog, click here (sorry mum!)

POTOSI

Arriving in Potosí, the first thing you notice is how cool it is, even at mid-day. The second thing you quickly notice is how easily you become short of breath, just walking at an easy pace around town feels like you're jogging around. Both of these effects are of course caused by Potosí's high altitude. At 3,967m (13,000 feet) above sea level, it is the second highest city in the world. At such altitude, there is only around 58%!o(MISSING)f the oxygen that you would have on the beach. This means you get less oxygen into your lungs for every breath you take, and consequently less oxygen gets into your metabolism and your brain. So feeling dizzy, tired and short of breath are some of the most common effects altitude will have on you, along with a much higher heart rate. Not nice. Whilst we were walking at a snail's pace trying not to fall over from exhaustion, we couldn't help but look on in amazement as old ladies carrying heavy weights on their backs (typically wrapped in colourful blankets) whizzed past us on Potosí's steep streets without panting or breaking into a sweat. Respect.

Potosí is a mining city whose riches allowed it to grow and by 1625 it had become the biggest city in the Americas, bigger even than London, Madrid or Paris. This was the result of the Spanish finding silver in the mountain that rises high on the horizon behind the city, Cerro Rico (Rich Mountain). The majority of the silver that left America for Spain came from Potosí, through the work of the indians which the Spanish enslaved to work in the mines. However the rich vein ran out in the 19th century which led to an important economic decline.

The local people still mine the mountain for silver and other minerals (copper, lead, pyrite), the work is administered by cooperatives who run the different mines and although the miners' general working conditions have improved, the work itself continues to be done under extremely hard conditions which makes them very ill and
POTOSI - With Uncle George / Con el Tío JorgePOTOSI - With Uncle George / Con el Tío JorgePOTOSI - With Uncle George / Con el Tío Jorge

All dressed up to celebrate the carnival / Todo vestido de gala para celebrar el carnaval
sends many of them to an early grave. This of course is not helped by the fact that they consume large amounts of alcohol and smoke what is possibly the strongest tobacco in the world, but more about this later.

The day we arrived in Potosí they were still celebrating the carnival. Whilst walking around town we bumped into a big group of musicians and dancers parading their rhythms through the streets. However we also bumped into our now old friend Paul (we think they were starting to suspect we were following them) who warned us the young (and not so young) kids went mad the previous days throwing water bombs at any unsuspecting passer-by, even when some of them shouted "camera, camera!". Not wanting to risk ours getting wrecked and, to be honest, not fancying the idea of getting wet and cold in an already chilly place, we soon retreated to our room. Although the room was actually colder than outside, but we crept under our five (!) blankets and watched telly instead.

Later in the evening we ventured out to buy our next set of bus tickets, but the ticket office was closed. On the way back we asked the taxi driver for his advice on where to eat, somewhere "good but economical", as we hadn't seen anywhere nice when we were walking around town earlier. He took the "economical" part rather seriously, as the Chinese he dropped us off at was stupidly cheap, however the "nice" part was not so much so and we were a bit hesitant about it, but decided that if it was good for the locals, it be good enough for us too. A decision we would later regret as it gave Maria a poor stomach that made us postpone our visit to the mines twice... Mark wasn't particularly happy about having to go to the agency we had booked it through and having to use his pidgin Spanish to communicate the problem, but he passed the test with flying colours.

On the second day we were treated to the most powerful hailstorm that we'd ever experienced. The hail was about 1cm in diameter and soon covered the whole city inches deep in a white sheet, incredible! Check out the video using the link above, it made quite a racket.

So we finally made it to the mine on our third day. Visiting the mine doesn't just gives you the opportunity to see for yourself what the conditions are like for the miners, but you actually get the chance to work with them once you're deep inside the rabbit warren-like tunnels.

It is also costumary to take some "presents" for the miners, to cheer up their day as this is so hard and they get so little in terms of pay. There is one sector of the city where you go for this and their preferred presents include 98° alcohol (to help drown their sorrows), coca leaves (an alternative to caffeine, helps them stay awake and combat altitude sickness), mighty strong cigarettes (not sure what the purpose behind these is, accelerate death?) and... packs of dynamite (including the fuse wire and the detonators). Which you can just buy in a shop in the street. Without a licence. Just like that. And no checks that they REALLY are for the miners and not just for yourself to blow any old building up for a laugh. Fantastic!

So with a good selection of these goodies in a bag, we set off for the mine with our guide, whose dad still works in one of them. Some of the miners themselves have managed to swap their hard hats for guide badges which is not only a healthier job but also more lucrative.

Once on the mountain our guide demonstrated the power of the dynamite before we entered the mine. The sound is deafening and makes you jump out of your skin, even though you're expecting it. Just one piece of dynamite is enough to blow up a huge chunk of solid rock and as we entered the mine Mark was carrying 3 sticks in his pocket .

Mark's one phobia was quickly put to the test as we entered the mine. Being trapped in enclosed spaces makes him feel uneasy and the first 100m of the mine is very low, meaning even the shorter people needed to duck down as we walked. With over a mile to walk into the mountain Mark seriously considered waiting for everyone outside the mine.

Fortunately the roof gets a little higher after the first 100m, so Mark resolved himself to go on, doing his best to overcome his fears. After a long walk, interrupted at times by the necessity to get down on hands and knees to negociate the lowest sections, we arrived at a shrine to "El Tio" (The Uncle). Each mine has one of these protective figures; the miners give them offerings and ask them to keep them safe and allow them to find a rich vein of minerals.

Tio is actually a misunderstanding of the word "Dios" (God in Spanish). When the Spaniards enslaved the indians to work in the mines, they were afraid to go inside them themselves and therefore had no way to keep an eye on the miners and make sure they were working hard. So they came up with the idea of placing a devil-like figure inside each mine to frighten the indians into believing this was a spirit who they would enrage if they didn't do their job properly. However a devil figure didn't scare the indians as much as it scared the Spanish themselves, since the indians were not catholics and therefore the notion of God vs. Devil had no real meaning to them.

However, when they learned that these devils where actually "bad" for their enslavers, they decided to make them their allies and have since then worshipped them like protective figures. Every Friday afternoon, at the end of the working week, the miners celebrate with El Tio, put a lit cigarette in his mouth and spill some alcohol at his feet before drinking themselves as a toast to health and good fortune.

The air in the mine gets hotter and hotter as you go deeper inside. At the end of the mine, 1 mile inside the mountain, you have the opportunity to mine some of the minerals for yourself. By this point however, the air smells very stale and feels even thinner than it is in town. On top of this the area where you can do the mining is 10m down a narrow, vertical, rocky shaft that has no ladder, meaning you need to climb down using only the rocks that stick out from the walls as foot and hand holds! Not just Mark found this too much to bear, but also all the other girls on the tour as well. The men who climbed back out of the shaft after finishing their go at mining said it was a rather unpleasant experience, they had enough after 5 minutes and could not wait to get out, making us all feel better for "wimping out".

Making our way out, we were all very relieved to see the sky and breathe fresh air again. And we were still carrying all of our dynamite. The reason for this is that we visited the mine on the last day of the local festival, meaning no-one was working in the mine but celebrating in town, which was a shame as we didn't get the opportunity to interact with any of the miners. But we did manage to donate our gifts to a group of highly inebriated miners on the way back to town, apparently we hadn't bought enough coca leaves as that's what they kept asking for. We left them to carry on partying, wondering whether that had been a smart move - let them mix alcohol and dynamite? Hmmm... can't be a good combination... It was also at this time that Mark realised he'd lost a stick of dynamite somewhere inside the mine! Whoopsy! Ah well, it's only an explosive, what harm can it do?!

Apart from the mine, Potosí has a few nice old colonial buildings, mostly churches, but there is also the Old Mint, which we
POTOSI - Pan pipe music at last / Música de zampoña por fínPOTOSI - Pan pipe music at last / Música de zampoña por fínPOTOSI - Pan pipe music at last / Música de zampoña por fín

These guys were playing at a restaurant. From time to time they would start walking in circles and the tall guy at the back would crack up! Here we seem him wiping away a tear or two ********* Estos chicos estaban tocando en un restaurante. De vez en cuando se ponían a dar vueltas y al alto que está al fondo a la derecha ¡le entraba un ataque de risa! Aquí le vemos secándose una lágrima o dos
visited on our last day. It now serves solely as a museum as Bolivia stopped minting their own money in 1953. Apparently the counterfeit technologies are beyond their means nowadays and they don't trust their own officials to administer it efficiently and legally. The boliviano coins are minted in Canada and the notes are printed in the UK.

The museum has a strange array of artifacts on top of the expected items associated with minting money. We guess they had a lot of space to fill and went looking for other things to display. Amongst these there were old bits of furniture and household items, a collection of religious figures and paintings from a destroyed church, a collection of precious and semi-precious stones and jewels, and a disturbing collection of human remains and mummified bodies of children and even foetuses found behind the altarpiece of some old church, believed to be children born to the rich Spanish settlers there. We didn't take any pictures of these as we found them a bit too grisly.

In the end we didn't have time to buy a bus ticket so we decided to take a taxi instead, apparently a very common
POTOSI - I'm scared! / ¡Tengo miedo!POTOSI - I'm scared! / ¡Tengo miedo!POTOSI - I'm scared! / ¡Tengo miedo!

Don't you think there's an uncanny similarity with Stan Laurel here?? ********* ¿No os parece que hay una semejanza increible con Stan Laurel ("el flaco")?
practice, to take us to our next destination, just under 2 hours away. We arrived at the place where the agencies are and even before we got out of the taxi we got surrounded by people trying to get us to go with them. It actually got almost scary. The competition is fierce and demand was low so they got really, really pushy. This guy was actually grabbing Maria's arm to get us to go with him whilst his colleagues put their hands over another girl's mouth who was offering us a lower price. It was all meant to be friendly but with so many people shouting all around us it felt a bit overwhelming. Maria had to actually shout at them to stop grabbing her and pressurising her and we crossed the street to check out somebody else. After some bargaining, we went with a young guy who seemed to have the best car. Along the way we could hear the unmistakable sound of metal rubbing against metal and whilst Maria was very happy to stay none the wiser, Mark decided to enlighten her and tell her that the noise came from the brakes, meaning the pads were so
POTOSI - Chewing gum, sweets, tobacco, coca... / Chicle, golosinas, tabaco, coca...POTOSI - Chewing gum, sweets, tobacco, coca... / Chicle, golosinas, tabaco, coca...POTOSI - Chewing gum, sweets, tobacco, coca... / Chicle, golosinas, tabaco, coca...

Those massive red bags at the front of the picture are full of coca leaves ********* Esos enormes sacos de plástico al frente de la foto están llenos de hojas de coca
worn out the metal plates were rubbing together. Is he not familiar with the old saying "ignorance is bliss", or what?? she wondered.

Praying that we would make it in one piece, we did arrived safe and sound in...

SUCRE

Think back to your geography lessons in school. What is Bolivia's capital city? La Paz. Right? Wrong! Apparently Sucre is the official capital, although La Paz is the administrative capital because the governments sits here. As usual, it all comes down to money and politics. If you look at a world map, each country has one city marked with a square, which represents its capital; Apparently Bolivia has two, but we have yet to confirm this. If you have an atlas handy, can you check it for us, just out of curiosity?

Founded around 1540, Sucre is considered the birthplace of the Republic of Bolivia because the Declaration of Independence from Spain was signed here in 1825. Also the first organised uprising against the Spanish Crown in America started here in 1809. The main buildings in the centre are painted white, and for this reason Sucre is also known as The White City. It was named
POTOSI - Deep inside the mine / En las profundidades de la minaPOTOSI - Deep inside the mine / En las profundidades de la minaPOTOSI - Deep inside the mine / En las profundidades de la mina

Bit of a tight squeeze / Un apretón algo justo
a World Cultural Heritage Site in 1991.

When we arrived in Sucre it was already dark so we didn't get a lot done on the first evening. We did however treat ourselves to a very nice dinner in a posh French restaurant (you know the ones, where the foods comes out looking very pretty), right next door to the hotel, that cost us a mere 6 pounds for the two of us including drinks. And this was expensive!

Bolivia is considered the poorest country in South America and as such the cost of living for us Europeans is ridiculously low. A few other travellers we'd met in Argentina and Chile had warned us that we would most likely lose weight in Bolivia as the food is terrible and intestinal diseases abound, however we found you really must be on an extremely low budget to have to suffer this, as for the next month we treated ourselves to really nice hotels and restaurants and still managed to stay comfortably under budget most days.

The hotel we stayed at in Sucre was lovely - for 8 pounds we had a double room with private bathroom and cable TV. There
POTOSI - The reason why I prefer to stay BEHIND the camera / La razón por la que prefiero quedarme DETRAS de la camaraPOTOSI - The reason why I prefer to stay BEHIND the camera / La razón por la que prefiero quedarme DETRAS de la camaraPOTOSI - The reason why I prefer to stay BEHIND the camera / La razón por la que prefiero quedarme DETRAS de la camara

This couple were the only people we met at the mine; whilst everyone else was celebrating in town, they had stayed behind to watch the place ********* Esta pareja fueron las únicas personas que vimos en la mina. Mientras los demás estaban celebrando en el pueblo, ellos se quedaron de vigilantes
was also a nice patio with benches and chairs if you wanted to sit outside. The best thing we found in the patio however was a very friendly mother cat and her three kittens which were absolutely gorgeous. We spent ages playing with them and Maria was thrilled not to get a single allergy attack in the three days we were there.

Having said this, we think it's worth mentioning that apart from a couple of colds we caught at the beginning of the trip, and the odd stomach, erm, "discomfort" which is so common amongst travellers, we have both been feeling a lot better than in the "Western" world. Meaning Mark has not suffered with his crippling hay fever this year, and Maria's various allergies have not bothered her either whilst her food intolerances seem to have all but disappeared. Interesting....

But back to Sucre. It's hard to believe that being so close to Potosi (120 miles) it feels so much warmer. Naturally it has all to do with being at much lower altitude - 2,750 meters (9000 ft), so walking around the city is a pleasure rather than torture. On our second day we went for lunch at the top of a hill and the weather was so nice we could actually sit outside at a café overlooking the city. And who else were we to bump into but our old friends Paul and Janet - again! We had a lovely meal and a chat, they kept us well entertained with their stories of having to seek refuge at a hospital after heavy rain stopped their bus from reaching their destination, and of a sleepless night aboard a cocroach infested bus! We think they should be the ones writing blogs, it all seems to happen to them! Little did we know that despite having pretty much the same route planned we wouldn't catch up with them again so we send them a big hello from these pages as they are probably sulking whilst reading this at home/work now... (sorry guys!).

An interesting half day trip from Sucre is a visit to Cal Orck'o. It is the world's largest paleontological site, with around 5,000 impressions of dinosaur footprints from 320 different animals. It is situated in a still working quarry, and was only discovered in 1994. Here experts found dinosaur footprints and fossilized remains of turtles, crocodiles, fish and algae from the late Cretacious period - very important for paleontologists as there was not much information about this period until now. Amongst the examples of the many different kinds of dinosaurs, the tracks of the Titanosaurius are considered the most spectacular. Reaching up to 25 meters in size, he was one of the real giants amongst the dinosaurs. Cal Orck'o also has the longest continuous track in the Guinness book of records: over 350 meters of a predator's footprints.

The last curious fact we wanted to mention about Sucre (though this really applies to the whole country) is that they must have one of the greatest number of shops selling pirate DVDs in the world. And they're proper shops right on the main street too, not temporary stalls or guys who run away when the police turn up! We saw one bang opposite a tourist police office, and there were others not far away. They're perfect copies of DVDs too, they have all the menus and language options of the original, but they cost less than £1 each. So we guess copyright laws mean jack squat here!

From Sucre we decided to fly to our next destination, as the road that connects them was in very bad condition after the rain and we read there had been two fatal bus accidents in the last 5 weeks or so, one of them the day we would have been travelling had Maria not had a bad stomach for two days! Hoping that the plane would not be stuck together with cellotape or something like that, we made our way to the airport...

*************************************************************************

Estamos escribiendo una página web para poder enseñaros algunas de las películas que sacamos de vez en cuando. Esta aún a medio hacer / traducir, pero pensamos que os gustaría ver un adelanto...

Para ver una peli divertida asociada con este blog, pinchad aquí

POTOSI

Al llegar a Potosí, lo primero que se nos ocurrió es que hacía bastante fresquito para ser verano. Lo segundo fue lo fácilmente que nos quedábamos sin aliento, simplemente paseando a un ritmo tranquilo parecía que habíamos estado echándonos unas carreras. Esto se debe a la altitud a la que la ciudad está situada. Exactamente a 3.967m sobre el nivel del mar, lo que al parecer la convierte en la segunda ciudad a mayor
altitud del mundo. A estas alturas el aire es menos denso, y solo hay un 58% del oxigeno que encontrarías en la playa. Esto quiere decir que cada vez que respiras la cantidad de oxígeno que te llega a los pulmones (y en consecuencia al cerebro y el resto de los órganos vitales), es mucho menor. Por lo que sentirse mareado, cansado y falto de aliento son los síntomas más frecuentes del "mal de altura", al mismo tiempo que un corazón acelerado. La verdad, no muy agradable. Mientras paseábamos por la ciudad a paso de tortuga intentando no caernos desmayados del esfuerzo, no podíamos dejar de admirar las abuelillas que cargando con pesos enormes sobre sus espaldas (envueltas en las típicas mantas de colores) nos adelantaban a paso bien ligero por las empinadas calles de Potosí sin ni siquiera romper a sudar. Increíble.

Potosí es una ciudad minera por excelencia, tiene centros mineros de estaño, plata, cobre y plomo. La mayoría de la plata que salió de América hacia España fue extraída de Potosí mediante el trabajo de los indios en la minería. La ciudad era tan rica gracias a estos yacimientos, que en 1625 se había convertido en
SUCRE - Plants grow anywhere / Las plantas crecen en cualquier parteSUCRE - Plants grow anywhere / Las plantas crecen en cualquier parteSUCRE - Plants grow anywhere / Las plantas crecen en cualquier parte

These strange balls of grass are found growing on power cables everywhere, we wonder how they manage to set roots and get food to survive? ********* Estas extrañas bolas de hierba crecen en los cables de la luz por todas partes. Nos preguntamos ¿cómo se las arreglan para echar raices y encontrar comida para sobrevivir?
la ciudad más grande de las Américas, llegando a superar a Londres, Madrid y París. Desafortunadamente en el siglo XIX la rica veta de plata se extinguió, dando paso a la explotación de estaño, lo que llevó a ciudad a entrar en un declive económico.

Muchos de los habitantes de Potosí aun trabajan en la minas, o en trabajos asociados con ellas. Buscan cobre, plomo, pirita, y con algo de suerte, encuentran algo de plata. El trabajo es administrado por diferentes cooperativas y aunque las condiciones laborales de los mineros han mejorado algo, el trabajo continúa siendo muy duro y muchos de ellos enferman de silicosis. Tampoco ayuda que la mayoría consume grandes cantidades de alcohol y fuman lo que es posiblemente el tabaco más fuerte del mundo, pero esto os lo contamos más adelante.

El día que llegamos a Potosí aún estaban celebrando el carnaval. Paseando por la ciudad nos encontramos con un grupo de músicos y bailarines desfilando por las calles. También nos encontramos con nuestro ya viejo amigo Paul; ellos habían llegado el día anterior y nos advirtieron que se habían escondido en su habitación porque al parecer el pasatiempo favorito de los lugareños es lanzar bombas de agua a todo el que se les cruza por delante, sin respetar tampoco a los turistas con cámaras. No queriendo correr el riesgo de que nos fastidiaran la nuestra y, para ser honestos, no queriendo que nos mojaran en una ciudad en la que ya hace bastante frío, nos escondimos en nuestra habitación. Aunque hacia mas frio dentro que fuera, así que nos escondimos bajo nuestras cinco (!) mantas y nos quedamos viendo la tele.

Algo más tarde nos aventuramos a salir a la terminal de bus a comprar los billetes para nuestro próximo destino, pero nos encontramos la ventanilla cerrada. En el camino de regreso le pedimos al taxista que nos recomendara un buen sitio para cenar que fuera económico, y se tomó lo de económico muy en serio, porque nos llevó a un chino tirado de precio. Lo de "buen" sitio ya no se lo tomó tan en serio pues parecía algo sospechoso pero nos dijimos que si era lo bastante bueno para ellos lo seria para nosotros. Decisión de la que nos arrepentiríamos más tarde pues me dio un dolor de estómago que me duró dos días e hizo que tuviéramos que posponer
SUCRE - It's not laundry! / ¡No es la colada!SUCRE - It's not laundry! / ¡No es la colada!SUCRE - It's not laundry! / ¡No es la colada!

It is meat drying in the sun in somebody's back yard ********* Es carne puesta a secar al sol en el patio de alguien
nuestra visita a las minas dos veces.

Al día siguiente, sin salir mucho de la habitación, nuestro mayor entretenimiento fue una tremenda tormenta de granizo, con unas bolas bien gordas que en un momento cubrieron las calles con un manto blanco y parecía que había nevado. En uno de los videos podéis verlo y escuchar el ruido que armó en un momento.

Por fin llegamos a visitar las minas en el tercer día. La visita no sólo te permite ver personalmente las condiciones en las que trabajan los mineros, sino que también te ofrece la oportunidad de trabajar unos minutos con ellos una vez estás bien dentro de los túneles que se asemejan a conejeras.

Es costumbre llevar "regalos" a los mineros, para alegrarles un poco el día. Hay un sector en la ciudad con tiendas a lo largo de toda una calle donde encontrar sus presentes favoritos, que incluyen alcohol de 98° (para ayudarles a ahogar sus penas), hojas de coca (una alternativa a cafeína, les ayuda a mantenerse despiertos y combatir el mal de altura), cigarrillos de potencia atómica (no estamos seguros del servicio que estos les prestan, ¿a no ser que sea acelerar su
SUCRE - Paul & JanetSUCRE - Paul & JanetSUCRE - Paul & Janet

See you again somewhere in the world! ********* ¡Nos veremos de nuevo en alguna parte del mundo!
muerte por si la silicosis no se les lleva lo bastante rápido?) y... paquetes de dinamita (cable y detonador incluidos). Que simplemente puedes comprar en una de estas tiendas. Sin licencia ni nada. Así, por la cara. Y sin ningún tipo de control de que la dinamita de verdad es para los mineros y no para tí mismo porque te apetece hace saltar un edificio por los aires. ¡Fantástico!

Así que con una buena selección de todo esto en una bolsa, salimos para las minas con nuestro guía, cuyo padre aún trabaja en la mina. Algunos de los mineros han logrado cambiar sus cascos por carnets de guías turísticos, trabajo no sólo más sano sino también mucho más lucrativo.

Una vez en la montaña el guía nos demostró la potencia de la dinamita antes de entrar en la mina. El ruido es ensordecedor y te pega un susto de muerte aún cuando lo estás esperando. Un sólo cartucho de dinamita es suficiente para hacer saltar por los aires un buen pedazo de roca sólida y cuando entramos en la mina Mark llevaba 3 metidos en el bolsillo.

La entrada principal no es demasiado estrecha, pero a los pocos metros el techo se hace muy angosto e incluso los más bajitos nos tuvimos que doblar para evitar salir con chichones; más adentro tuvimos que ir a gatas como podéis ver en la foto. Otros tramos se ensanchan y el techo se eleva lo suficiente para caminar erguidos otra vez, pero aun así según te internas en la mina te empiezas a sentir algo claustrofóbico.

Al cabo de un rato llegamos a la "casa" del Tío Jorge. Cada mina tiene su "Tío", una figura protectora de aspecto demoníaco a quien los mineros traen ofrendas y piden que les mantenga seguros y les permita encontrar una buena veta de minerales.

“Tío” es en realidad una malinterpretación de la palabra “Dios”. Cuando los españoles llegaron a Potosí esclavizaron a los indígenas para trabajar en las minas. Como tenían miedo de entrar a las minas ellos mismos, no tenían a nadie que vigilara el trabajo de los esclavos, por lo que se inventaron esta figura del demonio para asustarlos diciéndoles que si no trabajaban duro el demonio les castigaría. Sin embargo, al no ser católicos, los indígenas no entendían el concepto de Dios contra el demonio y por tanto no
SUCRE - This is yummy! / ¡Qué rico está esto!SUCRE - This is yummy! / ¡Qué rico está esto!SUCRE - This is yummy! / ¡Qué rico está esto!

The little thief eating straight from the tin was a grumpy sod when we wanted to stroke him, but best friend when the food came along! ********* El ladronzuelo que se está zampando la comida directamente de la lata era un gruñón cuando queríamos acariciarlo, ¡pero nuestro mejor amigo cuando llegó la comida!
le tenían miedo. Lo que es más, al enterarse de que para los españoles sí era una figura de temor, lo que hicieron fue convertirlo en su aliado, creando así creando la leyenda del Dios>Tío de la mina. Cada viernes por la tarde los mineros celebran el fin de la semana laboral con el Tío, le colocan un cigarrillo encendido en la boca y vierten un poco de alcohol a sus pies a modo de brindis.

A esta profundidad en la mina hace mucho calor y el aire se vuelve rancio. Cuando te has adentrado más o menos 1.5 kms, te ofrecen la oportunidad de extraer un poco de mineral de la pared, pero para llegar al sitio adecuado tienes que meterte por un túnel vertical de unos 10 metros de profundidad agarrándote sólo a la roca. Y al parecer una vez que se llega al fondo no hay mucho espacio para rebullirse. Así que de los seis que íbamos solo la mitad bajó. Mark y yo nos rilamos. Los tres que bajaron nos dijeron mas tarde que no habían pasado ni cinco minutos y ya estaban deseado salirse, y que la experiencia no fue particularmente agradable.

La verdad es que no pudimos evitar soltar un respiro de alivio cuando nos encontramos respirando aire puro de nuevo. Y a todo esto, aun llevábamos toda la dinamita a cuestas, y es que siendo el último día del carnaval no vimos a un solo minero dentro, ya que todos estaban celebrando en la ciudad. En el camino de regreso nos encontramos con un grupo de mineros altamente intoxicados que aceptaron nuestra coca y cigarrillos muy animadamente, y la dinamita también. Les dejamos preguntándonos si dejarles mezclar dinamita y alcohol había sido una buena idea.... Y fue en ese momento que Mark se dio cuenta de que había perdido uno de los cartuchos dentro de la mina... ¡ayayay! Bueno, no es mas que un explosivo, ¿qué mal puede hacer?

Aparte de las minas, Potosí tiene una buena colección de edificios coloniales, la mayoría iglesias, pero también la antigua Casa de la Moneda, que visitamos por la tarde. Ahora es sólo un museo ya que Bolivia dejo de producir su propio dinero en 1953. Al parecer las nuevas tecnologías para combatir las falsificaciones están fuera de su alcance económico y por si esto fuera poco no confían en sus propias autoridades para administrarlo de manera eficiente (y legal). Las monedas se fabrican en Canadá y los billetes se imprimen en el Reino Unido.

El museo tiene una extraña colección de artefactos aparte de los objetos que uno relaciona con la creación de monedas. Suponemos que tenían tanto espacio que llenar que salieron a encontrar otras cosas que exponer. Entre éstas se encuentran muebles y otros objetos antiguos, una colección de figuras religiosas y cuadros provenientes de una iglesia demolida, una colección de minerales y piedras semipreciosas, y otra colección menos agradable, restos humanos momificados que incluyen niños y fetos encontrados detrás del retablo de una vieja iglesia, y que eran niños de los ricos colonos españoles que se establecieron en el lugar. No sacamos fotos porque no nos parecieron particularmente agradables.

Al final no encontramos tiempo de volver a la terminal para comprarnos un billete de bus, así que decidimos ir en taxi que al parecer lo hace mucha gente y no salía caro tampoco. Llegamos al sitio donde están las agencias que lo organizan y antes de salir del taxi que nos llevo allí ya nos habían rodeado y nos gritaban ofertas para llevarnos. Casi daba miedo. La
SUCRE - Long walk up the wall / Largo paseo por el muroSUCRE - Long walk up the wall / Largo paseo por el muroSUCRE - Long walk up the wall / Largo paseo por el muro

It's not very clear in the picture, but it runs parallel to that huge crack in the rock ********* No se ve muy claro en la foto, pero va paralelo a esa grieta enorme en la roca
competencia es dura y no habiendo mucha demanda se vuelven en vendedores agresivos. El primero que se nos acercó, al darnos un precio más alto del que nos habían dicho y vernos dudar, empezó a agarrarme del brazo intentando arrastrarnos hasta su coche, diciendo que salíamos YA y llegaríamos a nuestro destino muy pronto. Mientras tanto sus colegas le estaban tapando la boca a la chica de otra agencia que desde el otro lado de la calle nos ofrecía un precio mas bajo. Se supone que era todo en plan broma y amistoso, pero cuando te ves rodeada de gente gritándote por todos los lados y agarrándote y pegándote tirones, es un agobio horroroso. Al final tuve que empezar a pegar voces yo también diciéndoles que dejaran de agarrarme y agobiarme, y por librarnos de ellos cruzamos la calle y preguntamos a la chica a la que habían tratado de callar. Después de negociar el precio durante unos minutos, nos fuimos con un chico joven que parecía tener el mejor coche. Al poco de salir podíamos oír el ruido inconfundible de metal chocando con metal, y Mark sintió la necesidad de explicarme que el ruido provenía de los frenos desgastados.
SUCRE - Can you find what's wrong with this car? / ¿Ves algo raro en este coche?SUCRE - Can you find what's wrong with this car? / ¿Ves algo raro en este coche?SUCRE - Can you find what's wrong with this car? / ¿Ves algo raro en este coche?

Most of the taxis in Bolivia look like this, and most of the speedos don't even work ********* La mayoría de los taxis en Bolivia son así, y la mayoría de los cuentakilómetros no funcionan
¡Y yo que estaba tan feliz en mi ignorancia!

Rezando para que llegáramos de una pieza, al cabo de un par de horas nos encontramos sanos y salvos en...

SUCRE

¿Os acordáis de las lecciones de geografía del cole? ¿Cual es la capital de Bolivia? La Paz. ¿Correcto? ¡Pues no! Al parecer Sucre es la capital oficial, aunque La Paz es la capital administrativa porque es donde se encuentra la sede del gobierno. Como siempre, todo se revuelve alrededor del dinero y la política. Si echáis un vistazo a un mapa, cada país tiene una ciudad marcada con un cuadrado, que representa su capital; nos dicen que Bolivia tiene dos, pero aún no lo hemos confirmado. Si alguien tiene un atlas a mano, ¿lo podríais mirar por nosotros, por curiosidad?

Fundada alrededor de 1540, Sucre está considerada la cuna de la República de Bolivia porque la Declaración de Independencia se firmo aquí en 1825. También aquí tuvo lugar la primera revuelta organizada contra la corona española en las Américas, en 1809. Los principales edificios del centro de la ciudad están pintados de blanco, y por este motivo también se le conoce con el apodo de La Ciudad Blanca. Fue nombrada Patrimonio Cultural de la Humanidad en 1991.

Cuando llegamos a Sucre ya había anochecido así que no hicimos mucho esa tarde. Lo que sí hicimos fue darnos un ''lujo'' y fuimos a cenar a un restaurante francés pijo (ya sabéis, donde la comida sale muy adornada), justo al lado del hotel, que nos costo como unos 9 euros por los dos incluyendo bebidas y propina. ¡Y éste era uno de los caros!

Bolivia esta considerada como el país más pobre de Sudamérica y como tal el costo de vida para nosotros es realmente bajo. Varios viajeros con los que charlamos en Argentina y Chile nos advirtieron que seguramente perderíamos peso en Bolivia ya que la comida es terrible y hay multitud de enfermedades gastro-intestinales esperando atraparte, pero nuestra experiencia nos mostró que tienes que tener un presupuesto realmente bajo para tener que sufrir, ya que durante el mes que pasamos allí nos alojamos en buenos hoteles y comimos en buenos restaurantes y aún logramos mantenernos por debajo del presupuesto casi todos los días.

El hotel en Sucre estaba genial - una habitación doble con baño privado y TV por cable. También tenía un bonito patio con bancos y sillas. Pero lo mejor que había en el patio era una gata súper cariñosa con tres gatitos que eran una preciosidad. Nos tiramos siglos jugando con ellos y yo estuve encantada porque no me dio ni un sólo ataque de alergia en los tres días que pasamos allí.

Y no sólo esto, creemos que merece la pena mencionar que aparte de un par de resfriados que pillamos al principio del viaje y algún que otro... digamos, "malestar" de estómago tan común entre viajeros, los dos nos hemos sentido mucho mas saludables que en el mundo "moderno". Mark, que todos los años sufre durante la primavera con su alergia al polen, no ha tenido problemas por primera vez desde que era un bebé. Mis varias alergias no me han molestado tampoco, y las intolerancias al trigo y la leche que tanto me fastidiaron durante el año anterior parecen haber desaparecido. Interesante...

Pero volviendo a Sucre. Es difícil creer que estando tan cerca de Potosí (195 kms) el tiempo sea mucho más cálido. Naturalmente esto se debe a que se encuentra a una altitud mucho más soportable (2.750 metros), lo que hace salir a pasear un placer más que una tortura. El segundo día subimos a la parte alta de la ciudad y paramos a comer en un bar-mirador con jardín; como hacía muy buen tiempo nos sentamos fuera y al poco aparecieron nuestros ya viejos amigos Paul y Janet - ¡otra vez! Mientras almorzábamos nos entretuvieron con historias acerca de como tuvieron que encontrar refugio en un hospital después de que su autobús no pudiera alcanzar su destino debido a lluvias torrenciales, y de una noche en vela a bordo de un autocar infestado ¡de cucarachas! La verdad es que deberían ser ellos los que escribieran blogs, ¡les pasa de todo! Esta sería la última vez que coincidiéramos con ellos, a pesar de tener casi el mismo itinerario planeado.

Una excursión interesante de medio día cercana a Sucre es a Cal Orck'o. Situado en una cantera aún en funcionamiento, es el yacimiento paleontológico más extenso del mundo. Descubierto en 1994, presenta alrededor de 5.000 huellas de 320 diferentes tipos de dinosaurios. También se han encontrado restos de tortugas, cocodrilos, peces y algas, pertenecientes al Cretácico superior - detalle muy importante pues hasta ahora casi no existían restos de esa época. Las huellas de los titanosaurios son las más espectaculares - con un tamaño de hasta 25 metros estos eran verdaderos gigantes. Cal Orck'o figura en el libro guinness de los records por contener la "caminata" más larga e ininterrumpida del mundo: más de 350m de pisadas de un depredador.

El ultimo dato curioso que queríamos comentar acerca de Sucre (aunque sirve para todo el país) es que debe tener el mayor número de tiendas vendiendo DVDs pirateados del mundo. Y son tiendas "de verdad" y todo, no como los que se ponen en Madrid delante del metro o en los mercadillos y salen zumbando en cuanto huelen a la poli. Estos no, las tiendas están en calles principales y una que vimos estaba justito enfrente de un pequeño edificio de la policía turística, y otras varias no muy lejos. Son copias perfectas de DVDs, la calidad es perfecta, y conservan los menús y opciones de lenguaje de los originales, pero cuestan como 1 euro cada uno. ¡Así que nos suponemos que las leyes de protección de copyright no valen un comino por estos lares!

De Sucre decidimos volar a nuestro siguiente destino, ya que la carretera que conecta a ambos estaba en muy malas condiciones debido a las lluvias, y habíamos leído que en las últimas 5 semanas habían tenido lugar dos accidentes mortales de autocar, ¡uno de ellos el día que hubiésemos viajado nosotros si no me hubiese dado dolor de estomago en Potosí! Con la esperanza de que el avión no estuviese pegado con celofán o algo así, nos dirigimos al aeropuerto...

Advertisement



29th June 2006

Playing with fire
Arcky, I thought you were dangerous enough when playing with fire! You know time when you were burning trees, 40 foot flames, smoke or should I say smog, the council giving you court orders to stop! Oh and the time when you put petrol in the dust bin forgot you had no matches so you put the lid on it, went to get some matches, started to light them before you took the lid off and let the fumes disperse, and BOOM THE BIN TOOK OFF LIKE A SATURN 5 ROCKET! You nearly killed yourself and Maria when the bin finally landed. But this, wow (are you still here, hello...?) :o)
29th June 2006

Movie trouble
Hi, I couldn't view the second movie of the hail storm. Good effect on the first one! Loved the salt flats, those pictures are awesome!
30th June 2006

Por favor! que monada!! que tierno! Besos!
3rd July 2006

Los videos estan genial sobre todo el de la tormenta, pero no se os ven las caras!En vez de semanas en caros 'health centres' la gente deberia ir a sitios asi (aunque apartados de la coca y del alcohol). Un besote a los dos.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb