Survived in one piece


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Worlds most dangerous road as it is referred to was a brilliant experience. Apparently, before it was closed to general traffic 9 months ago, an average of 3-400 people died on the road each year which is enough to make people a little nervous. The road starts at 4,750 metres above sea level in the hills above La Paz, and drops to 1,100 metres in Coroica 64kms of riding later.

Having been fully kitted out with equipment which included full suspension mountain bikes, trousers, jackets, helmets, goggles for dust protection and gloves we were briefed and set off down the top section which is straight forward tarmac for 20kms to get used to the bikes and kit. The group of 14 riders was made up of a whole range of abilities and experience which showed very quickly when one guy fell off three times before we even got past the tarmac and retired to the support vehicle (he had not ridden a bike before and was convinced by his mates that the ride would be fun !!)

About 6 km of uphill sections followed, and my competitive streak got the better of me, racing up to the top as quickly as possible, forgetting about the altitude we were at (and how many steaks beers and wines i had drunk since last exercising). Rach made it up the hill as the only girl which was a proud moment, the other girls from our group watching from the bus.

The lower 44kms was off-road on a car width loose gravel with a massive sheer drop off one side (the side we were told to ride on in case we came across local traffic coming the other way). The drop was over 400 metres without barriers, and the gravel causing problems when you get any serious speed up. We stopped regularly to re-group at which point the guide told more horror stories of unlucky cyclists just to try and limit the over-confidence that sme of us were getting as we got used to the track (and a pecking order formed making it more of a race).

The temperature changed all the way down with the altitude and landscape and layers coninually came off, but from snow at the top we were mostly over-heating as even though we were going down hill it was extremely hard work. Rach lasted until about 20kms from the end, when concentration on staying alive, listening to one too many horror stories and the constant braking causing cramp in her hands forced retirement.

A really enjoyable day, but glad to escape without injury. My efforts during the day caused a sleepless night with diahorea and sickness that i can only put down to exhaustion and competitive streak !!




Advertisement



7th August 2007

You can be proud of yourselves..
As we are very proud of both of you that you did it. Happy that you survived. :) Take care, Kriszta

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb