the trip from hell


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
July 22nd 2006
Published: July 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

hey guys. so quick update on my travels.
i caught a 24 hour bus ride from floripa to buenos aires. i planned it perfectly to arrive in BA and have 6 hours to spare before i caught my plane to la paz, bolivia. well,the bus broke and we had to switch buses 5 times. needless to say, i missed my plane. was stuck in BA for 3 days ( which if you have to be stuck somewhere, is not a bad place) and finally got a seat.
well, this plane ended up being 4 hours late. did not arrive in la paz until 2:45am, my hostel gave away my room, and luckily found a room 2 streets away. it was then that i found out that someone from the airlines (LAB for those interested) broke 2 locks on my backpack and stole valuable things including my laptop ( yeah , i know did not want to travel with it but i had no option because i am studying for 5 months in buenos aires and santiago and could not leave it anywhere), camera charger, copies of my credit cards, maleria pills, ipod charger, a denim jacket.
so spent the last two days talking with my travel insurance (thanks dad a bunch for buying me some) and trying to get ahold of LAB, which of course is nearly impossible. i am quite shock with how inefficient la paz is, being a huge city and a capital.

other than that, bolivia is quite different. it does not have as much european influence as argentina and brazil. the altitude makes you take things very slowly. being an obvious gringo, every little thing, the locals try to charge you more and ripe you off. it is easy to bargain though.
tomorrow i head to copacabana and isla del sol ( lake titicaca). then i come back to la paz for 3 days, planning to bike death road and take a day trip to the jungle. hopefully i will have more luck

Advertisement



Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb