Bolivia II - La Paz and around


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
June 9th 2009
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in La Paz on July 4th not having seen the saltflats due to the roadblocks.

The city of La Paz is quite nice and interesting. I was pretty impressed when we went the way down from the nearby city El Alto having a great view over the whole city situated in a bowl surrounded by a stunning landscape.

Life in La Paz is quite vivacious with a variety of cultural offer and lots of markets. On Saturday the huge folk festival "Gran Poder" took place with loads of colorfully dressed people dancing and marching down the streets accompanied by loud brass bandas from about 7am to 11pm.

On the same day we went to watch the World Cup Qualifying Game between Bolivia and Venezuela to see how football feels at an altitude of 3650m - However, it wasn't necessarily the best game.

On Sunday we went to an Excursion around La Paz and went down the "Worlds most dangerous road" via Mountain bike. (a bank gave the road this name). Of course you have to take care on this track, and bad things happened. But in the end it is not more dangerous than hiking in the mountains. However, the scenery is really nice and the beautiful landscape is wirth taking the risk.

Our way is leading us to the world famous Titicaca Lake!!!

Greets


Additional photos below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb