Copacabana - Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
October 5th 2008
Published: October 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Copacabana - the wheezy jewel of bolivia

Sleeping at almost 4km above sea level is not without its challenges....from the dehydration and breathlessness, to the fact that our digestive tracts have ground to a halt causing heartburn and indigestion, its a testament to the locals that they can reproduce in such an area. But the beauty and ruggedness of copacabana, a lazy village sitting on the shores of titicaca, is enough cause for distraction. The town moves in slow motion and is what we would imagine the greek islands to have been....say 100 years ago. with its main trade being the gringo trail, you find everything from authentic bolivian alpaca clothing, through to almond snickers bars and tacky swan shaped paddling boats in the harbour. its a town full of contradictions but we've loved it all the same.• City highlights: a boat trip to Isla del Sol (island of the sun) reputed to be the birthplace of the Inca empire - the beautifully barron mountainside cascading sharply into the stark blue of the lake is truly a sight to behold....this combined with the primitiveness of the island and the 4 hour trek through its ruins makes it a must do from copacabana; the easygoing pace of life combined with wonderfully sunny days - the town´s remoteness renders it a wonderful place to relax with the bonus of jawdropping views.• Accommodation: 5/5 for a stunning dome shaped private cottage situated on one of the clifftops. With views from every room, a hot tub, hammocks (indoor and outdoor), a ginormous circular bed and the best restaurant in town, this makes it the only place to stay in copacabana at the hefty price of US$38 per night!• Food: Good, basic bolivian cuisine using all organic ingredients. A chocolate bar/candy lover´s paradise (as is all of south america we've discovered)• Misc: the crazy ritual of the 'blessing of the cars´whish occurs at the town church - people take in miniatures of what they want for the coming year (usually a model car) with the hope that God will deliver it to them; the fact that NOONE told us that bolivia runs 1 hour ahead of Peru leaving us frantically getting ready for our cruise to isla del sol (paul got himself ready in 3 minutes flat from shower to door - we remembered all the essentials i.e. family pack of oreos but forgot breakfast, lunch and our camera); paul falconing (blow to the head) a poor little village boy in the head with a football on the isla del sol - his overzealous pass knocked the poor kid off his feet!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb