La Paz - Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
October 6th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

La Paz - if you can't find it here, it's likely you never wanted it anyway

So if it's preserved llama foetuses you want, you got it! which was quite creepy to see as we walked down the local 'witches market'. la paz has been quite the surprising city. in keeping with our trip to date, we've sourced out all the culturally compelling experiences....whether it be female wrestling to hurtling ourselves on mountain bikes from the world's highest ski resort (5200m). this combined with the dirt dirt cheap prices has made la paz an enjoyable final stop on our south american adventure.• City highlights: the cholita wrestling! we were originally promised that it was female MIDGET wrestling which had us extremely excited. however, it must have been midget day off as the only small people we saw were the half shrunken locals....the event was an amazing display of strength, acrobatics and copious amounts of lycra - think WWF but held in your local school hall...definitely a must see for those heading this way! our freezing mountain bike ride from 5200m where it was heavily snowing; the conditions made the track quite dangerous indeed as well as muddy beyond belief - we looked like half drowned cats by the time we had finished.• Accommodation: 3.5/5 for the impeccably clean and well lit pousada we're staying at. if it wasn't for the noise in the courtyard and lights flooding through the semi transluscent doors, it would have gotten a 4.• Food: Surprisingly very very good! and the prices are phenomenal. We've had the best empenadas in the whole of south america in la paz (to of the steps off the prado) and the bolivians sure know how to put on a smorgasbord of condiments - never have you seen such an amazing display!• Misc: consistent with all south american countries, there are shoeshiners milling about on the streets hassling you for a cheap polish - however in la paz, they wear balaclavas which is a little frightening on first glance; it is a bolivian tradition to put a preserved llama foetus in the doorway to bring luck to your household (ew!); a locals protest prevented us from experiencing the 'worlds most dangerous road' - whilst it was disappointing, biking down from 5200m was an amazing experience, especially given the blizzard we encountered.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb