Cusco to Copacabana onto La Paz


Advertisement
Published: March 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After our long stint in Cusco Peru we decided to head back to Bolivia for some shockinly cheap living. Got the overnight 10 hour bus which stopped in Puno. We were more than happy we didnt decide to stay there as it looks like a giant building site. Gar and Fergus had a bit of bad luck when getting there bags loaded in Cusco. There was a leak from the toilet and there bags got covered in pee which they vainly denied. So they stunk the whole journey to Copa.

Arrived in Copa on the promise of cheap private hotel rooms(its been 2 and a half months since i slept alone!!). We got a nice hotel overlooking the lake for 4 euro a pop which was great and a good sign of cheap things to come. Not much to do in Copa though. The night life was shit so the highlight of the first day was a visit to the catheral at the top of town. Copacabana in Bolivia is one of the major holy sites in south america and thats why the Copacabana in Brazil from the song we all know is called Copacabana in tribute. There ya go!!Inside the Catheral it was absolutely spectactular. There is huge gold and stone monuments above the altar and paintings everywhere which really awed us. It didnt take long for my digust for religion to return when outside the door of the church cripples and women beg for a few pennys while priceless bullshit lay inside....

The first night after searching for ages for a bar thats actually in la paz we ended up in Nemo´s. Ended having a lock in with the owner until 4. The next day after a good lye on we got up a bit late so got the late boat across to the Island of the sun which is where the sun was created according to the inca´s. It was pretty nice but the boat ride back sitting on the front deck was cool. That night same old boring night life and ended playing chess with Sarat at 2 in the morning. This place was kicking!! Time for La Paz.

The bus journey had some amazing scenery along the way with the snowcapped andes in the distance. We had to cross Lake titicaca by boat aswell. They have these little barges and we were wondering how the bus would make it. Then a guy in a truck with a JCB on the back got on the barge. Crazy!!

Reached La Paz and checked into LOKI La Paz which is owned by the same guys in Cusco. Its Irish themed and the bar reminded us of a pub in Dublin. The next few days up to the Death Road was drinking and eating seriously cheap and a bit of food poisioning for myself thrown in aswell.......




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb