Sucre - "The judicial capital of Bolivia"


Advertisement
Published: May 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The most beautiful city in Bolivia?



Sucre is probably the most beautiful and important city in bolivia. It was here the independece was proclaimed, and the declaration was signed on the 6th og august 1825.
Sucre is actually still the judicial capital, but the seats of government and treasury are in La Paz.

The city is situated in a valley surrounded by low mountains in a altitude of 2790m. The climate, especially after been in Potosi (4070m) was mild and comfortable.
Its many colonial white buildings with nice patios, plaza's perfect for studying the city life, and plenty of bars, restaurant, museums and other activities around.
Sucre was declared a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1991.
Many choose to stay here longer than they planned, because of its climate, nice surroundins, posibilities to study and so on.
It is a proper university town, and taking a spanish course here is perfect.


The International Day For Museums



Friday the 16th of may was the "International day for museums" or something like that. Sucre's museums celebrated with a free entrance from 18.00 to 06.00 Saturday, and loads of music and programs in museums and churches.
After about five hours around the city, I could mark off for a new record in museum visits : )
A review here would be too long anyway, so i skip it...


"Celebrating" 17th of may (The Norwegian National day)



I celebrated the day walking around in Sucre. The main attraction this day was a "soapbox-race" (I'm not shure about this word, but have look at the pictures. Paa norsk er det det kjente og kjaere olabilloepet jeg mener ; ) )
They had blocked off half of the centre (it seemded like that) and I was waiting for something big to happen. Music was played, a policemotorcyckle passed and there it was.... the "soapbox-cars". I was a little bit dissapointed when I was waiting for a big parade : )

But the day was good anyway, and I ended it jumping on a nightbus to La Paz... What a celebration ; )






Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb