06. Llamas farmers & Peeps in Jeeps!


Advertisement
South America » Bolivia » Chuquisaca Department » Sucre
March 19th 2008
Published: March 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lots of pics in this one!... make sure you look at the second page! J: Bolivia..... Crossing the border at the crack of dawn (as soon as it opened), still feeling a little worse for ware after an over night bus ride, me still looking like I´d gone a few rounds with a heavy weight and feeling like it too. Our Arrival was like a breath of fresh air, unbelievably! After only a few minutes in Bolivi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Perfect mirror image..Perfect mirror image..
Perfect mirror image..

.. in the Salar (salt lake) de Uyuni... very surreal landscape..
Jack and the salar de Uyuni...Jack and the salar de Uyuni...
Jack and the salar de Uyuni...

The wet salt lake at sunrise....
Mae on cactus island...Mae on cactus island...
Mae on cactus island...

An island in the middle of the salt lake. It was actually called Isla de Pescado (fish island) but for obvious reasons we all referred to it as cactus island... it was literally covered in enormous cacti!
Jack goes in for a hug..Jack goes in for a hug..
Jack goes in for a hug..

..on cactus island... This one is for Dave!
Jack had been naughty...Jack had been naughty...
Jack had been naughty...

so Mae cast a spell to shrink him!!
The salt farm....The salt farm....
The salt farm....

Only a very small amount of the salt is farmed and exported at the edge of the salt lake... most of the lake is preserved..
our brilliant driver Santos...our brilliant driver Santos...
our brilliant driver Santos...

who was also the mechanic... and evidently loved posing!
Mae on the look out...Mae on the look out...
Mae on the look out...

At the cemetary of trains in Uyuni... there are over 150 ancient train skeletons... very bizarre!
The market at Tarabuco...The market at Tarabuco...
The market at Tarabuco...

Bolivia is just so colourful. Tarabuco is famous for its weaving... such beautiful pieces and incredible colours everywhere.
Squeeky voice clan...Squeeky voice clan...
Squeeky voice clan...

This lot sang in the most ridiculous high pitched voices... completely out of tune but so fantastic!
The cutest little thing...The cutest little thing...
The cutest little thing...

...all the babies are carried like this on their mothers backs in a sling of beautiful woven cloth. They always look so happy there, it must be so much nicer than being stuck in a pram...
Beautiful dressBeautiful dress
Beautiful dress

The women in Bolivia all dress the same... and so beautifully: Pleated skirts, chunky knitwear, hair in long plaits, and a beautiful piece of woven cloth used as a sling to carry anything from their shopping to their children!.. oh and a great hat of course!
A very colourful costume...A very colourful costume...
A very colourful costume...

... can you see the morris dancer similarities!



20th March 2008

good to hear from you
wondering what you were up to - amazing scenery and people.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb