Disappointing dinner


Advertisement
South America » Argentina
January 22nd 2009
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -25.5469, -54.5882Breakie with the Spaniard staying at the hostel, as we were both up early to catch a flight back to BA. It's a funny thing - my mind kept wandering and at times, I understood nothing that he said to me. They served some delicious watermelon for breakfast, but there was no cake, which was just as well - the first day, it was chocolate and wasn't bad, but the second ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

zaza
za

Faculty of Engineering.
zbzb
zb

This Jacques Bedel piece wasn't on display at the Museum of Fine Arts, but it gives you an idea of what his work is like.
zczc
zc

The famous robotic flower that opens in the morning, and closes at night.
zc2zc2
zc2

The standard tourist shot is to make it look like you're holding it in the palm of your hand. It turned out lame, but I didn't care, because I thought the flower was kind of lame anyway.
zdzd
zd

MALBA
zd1zd1
zd1

Antonio Bernini's "La Gran Tentacion"
zeze
ze

I was brought a basket of warm, delicious bread - at first I thought the buns were made with some type of grains inside, but they turned out to be bits of olive. Surprisingly, I wasn't revolted by them, and actually found them quite tasty - crisp, and soft. The French bread was crisp and chewy, and had a bit of a sourdough taste to it. Very nice with what was either a slightly sour, whipped butter, or perhaps a very light cream cheese - whatever it was, it was excellent. Accompanying the bread was a little shot glass of some damn fine little tomatoes, fresh basil, and olive oil. I was a little put off at first, because I thought they might have been olives. The tomatoes were unique, as I'm used to only having butter served with my bread.
zfzf
zf

The main course was the fish of the day, with assorted seafood and veggies - cuttlefish, mussels, shrimp, asparagus, carrot, cabbage, cauliflower, peas, and snow peas. Everything was overcooked, especially bad were the shrimps, and the beurre blanc was oily, chunky, and sticky - bad! And though the selection of veggies was good, the tough cabbage leaves were impossible to cut with the fish knife I was given. But I wondered - was my perception of the meal jaded by the sight of a woman openly breast-feeding her baby, without making even the slightest effort to cover up? I'm not asking anybody to NOT do something just for me, I'm only asking them to cover up a little bit!
zgzg
zg

I originally planned on having dessert, but bailed when I saw how bad the entree was, instead settling for only a cortado. The cortado was served with a few lovely little bits of chocolate cake, lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Incredible! Light, with the texture of a soft sponge, not too sweet, and simply delicious. I regretted not getting dessert, as whoever made this cake (and let's not forget the bread) was far more talented than whoever cooked my fish.



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb