Sun, Steaks and Siestas in Argentina.


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
February 4th 2009
Published: February 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone! We´ve been away for exactly one month now, and what better way to celebrate than looking back over the last couple of weeks! Should be emotional.

Last update was from Buenos Aires, where we ended up staying for a week. It was difficult to drag ourselves away. Partly because it was an amazing city, and partly because we were so hungover every morning that the idea of getting out of bed and onto a 14 hour bus wasnt appealing. I blame the Irish girls we met who drank us under the table most nights. Not proud of that.
Definite highlight in B.A was the River Plate vs. Boca Juniors match we got tickets to. We were on the terraces behind the goal with the River Plate ultras. It was a sight to behold, the atmosphere was unlike anything I´ve ever seen in England by a long way. As for the match itself, one thing you don´t want in that situation is a dubious decision going against either team that could potentially turn a lively derby atmosphere into a lively riot. So we were delighted when Boca were awarded a very dodgey penalty late in the game, which they scored winning the match 2-1. The River hooligan next to us, with the Malvinas tattoo on his back, did not like that one bit! We pretended to be outraged and managed to survive.

When we finally did manage to escape B.A, we headed to a town at the foot of the Andes called Mendoza. It is a big wine region, so we rented bikes and did a tour of the vineyards which was a really nice, relatively sophisticated way to spend an afternoon. It´s much more acceptable to drink and ride a bike in Argentina than it is in Solihull. A few of you will understand what I´m hinting at here. We left Mendoza and made our way up to a place called Cordoba, which is a big student city. Not a great amount to see or do in Cordoba in the day time, meaning the vast majority of people were there for the nightlife. We managed one night with an awsome group of Brazilians who we had met in Mendoza and bumped into again at the hostel in Cordoba.

We´re in Salta at the moment which is right in the north of Argentina, near the border with Bolivia and Chile, where we are heading tomorrow. It was my 22nd yesterday, and we celebrated in style. We got a gondola up into the foothills of the Andes in the afternoon, and went out with a big group of people from the hostel at night. I ate Llama curry, which is something I´ve never done before, (and incidentally something I wont be doing again). I had a really great time, it was a very memorable way to spend a bday. Somehow Benson and Martin managed to get up at half 6 this morning to go rafting! I say got up, Martin didn´t leave the club we were in until 6, so he just powered through. I woke up briefely to chuckle at them before going back to bed.

So were off to Chile tomorrow, then doing a few days in Bolivia I think. Only 2 weeks left in South America, then It´s off to NZ. Time flies! Hope you are all well and enjoying the snow! It´s bloody boiling here...

Matt x x x


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb