Travels through Brazil and Argentina.


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
January 21st 2009
Published: January 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone! I suppose it's about time for an update.

We managed to tear ourselves away from Ilha Grande after a few days on the beach and a very heavy last night in a club with a dance floor made of sand. Hangovers and long boat journeys aren't all they are cracked up to be. We went down the coast to a little colonial town called Paraty. For anyone interested in Brazilian history Paraty is where the first Portuguese settlers landed and enslaved the locals. I think that's the jist anyway, I couldn't really understand much at the museum I went to. Waste of 2 reals if anything. Paraty was a nice little place though, despite the fact that a land slide had wiped out the water supply to the whole town the day we arrived. Showers in a can all round, took me back to Reading Festival.

After Paraty we departed on a 24hour bus ride to the Iguasu falls. There was a short stop in Sao Paulo on the way. Sao Paulo has a reputation for being a little dangerous to say the least. The guy next to me on the bus lives there and it didn't exactly reassure me when we arrived and he turned to me whispering under his breath 'Welcome to Hell!' We stayed a grand total of 30mins, and Im pleased to report they passed without incident.

We finally made it to the falls and they were well worth the trip. Took in the Brazilian side on the first day. The irony of going from Paraty, with no water supply, to Iguasu with the most water I've ever seen in one place was not lost on me. It was pretty spectacular. We managed to get a game of football in on our last day in Brazil with some French kids. There was even an actual Brazilian on our side, a fact which I thought would definitely swing the match in our favour. I overlooked the fact that the Brazilian in question was literally 72 and rubbish. He was rubbish. We still won with 2 wonderstrikes from yours truely.


We left Brazil the next day and managed to make it over the border somehow, despite being told we lacked vital documentation. We charmed our way through no doubt. The Argentinian side of the falls were even more impressive than the Brazilian. We hiked all over the place that day, very energetic for us I must say.

We left the waterfalls and we are now in Buenos Aries. I think personally this is the best place we've been so far. I really like the vibe of the whole city. Were in a lively hostel so have had some good nights. Were here for a week, leaving on Monday. This weekend we managed to get tickets to the local derby here between River Plate and Boca Juniors. Those of you who know your football know that this derby is up there with the best in the world so were pretty lucky to be here when its on and to get tickets.

So that's that. All going swimmingly so far. Dont know where Ill be this time next week, but Ill keep you posted. Hope your all well, lots of love Matt x x x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb