el fin del mundo


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
March 20th 2005
Published: May 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

the last city in the worldthe last city in the worldthe last city in the world

well the postcards say so!
Forgive me if i can't remeber the dates, i'm sitting in an airconditioned peter pans (internet cafe)in wonderfully hot Cairns, trying to remember Ushuaia, that cold place at the bottom of the world. Firstly to dispell a myth. Ushuaia claims to be the most sourthernly city on the planet. Actually that honour belongs to Puerto Williams in Chile, which is a fraction more southernly than Ushuaia along the Beagle channel. However Puerto Williams Mayor has not been as clever to cash in on tourist dollars to expose Ushuaia as only the 2nd most southernly city in the world, so for now all the tourists go to Ushuaia. Ita actually costs a $100 to get to Puerto Williams from Ushuaia, us being cheap backpackers have made up our mind that Ushuaia is the end of the inhabited world and we didn't bother with Puerto Williams.

Ushuaia is an incredibly beautiful city, set against the backdrop of the Andes which finally break up into the cold Atlantic Ocean right at the bottom of the southern Hemisphere. It is also freezing there, especially in Autumn. We were not lucky (or unlucky if you hate it) enough to get snow, but a lot of the peaks around the city were dusted with snow, which does not melt even in summer, thats how cold it is. All of us wore about four jumpers while we were there, and it was not even winter.

While in Ushuaia, we went for a walk in the national park, it was very beautiful, and we also went on a boat along the Beagle channel (named after the boat Darwin sailed in on his way to the Gallapagos Islands). We saw and smelt sealions, the smell unbelieable, imagine an abandoned fish market that has not been cleaned and your only half way there. I wish this blog had smell-o-vision.

From Ushuaia we crossed the boarder back into Chile and we went to Puerto Natales. The best thing about Puerto Natales, Hostel Nancy, the all you can eat breakfast and Dulce de Leche, the best toast spread in the world. Nutella is a poor breakfast spread in comparison.


Advertisement



19th May 2005

Errr
Errrr i can imagine, i hate the smell of fish markets! we went queens market the other week and that place reeks of te stuff, so i cant even begin 2 imagine the smell u ladies must of gone through!! one question tho? didnt sooty get 2 c her penguins!!?? - Hardeep

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb