Sierra Valproaiso Trek


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
February 21st 2006
Published: February 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

That pesky fox. 700g of georgeous dark chocolate, two fine salamis, fresh baked french bread and a packet of olives were its haul from our tent on the first night of the valproaiso circuit trek near Ushuaia. Lesson learned, never leave food in the tent vestubule. Thankfully we had enough food spare to complete this 4 day trek in beautiful mountain scenery near Ushuaia (though pasta and brekfast bars gets pretty monotomous). It was pretty hard going, with large areas of bog, some steep high passes and a general lack of paths. We didn´t realise until one day into the trek that the map only had contours for a small amount of the area, which would have made navigation a bit of a nightmare without GPS. When not trekking Ben and I entertained ourselves by skinny dipping in the coldest possable places, for some reason Emily and Subhani couldn´t be persuaded to join in. We met two other people on the whole trek (thankfully while fully clothed) who of course turned out to be a couple from England.
The trek ended on a road in the middle of nowhere 13k from Ushuaia. We asked a police man at a remote outpost if he could call a taxi for us for the 13k trip back to Ushuaia, he invited us in, popped out for a minute then called us out to a waiting van. It turned out he´d flagged down the van and basically ordered them to give us a lift - a novel but effective way to hitchhike (the driver didn´t seem to mind and we left him the taxi fare).


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Even colder than it looksEven colder than it looks
Even colder than it looks

Not sure whether the look on my face is due to the cold water or being faced by a naked Ben
End of TrekEnd of Trek
End of Trek

All that exercise and still no muscles


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb