Journey to the End of the World


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
January 16th 2009
Published: January 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Argentinan beachesArgentinan beachesArgentinan beaches

not quite Oz
No, we're not back in Mayo (hehe!). We made it to Ushuaia! Its literally the end of the world, the closest you can get to Antartica without actually going there.

We last left you at Villa Gesell. From there we took a bus to Puerto Madryn and took a day trip out to Peninsula Valdes. This is a national park where you can see sea lions, elephant seals and penguins, some of which you can only see here or in Antarctica. The seals were amazing, kinda loud. We actually saw the best beach in Argentina so far here too, seriously though, Argentinas beachs aren't quite as good as back home.


From here it was a 32 hour bus journey, yes 32 HOURS, to Ushuaia. This involved changing bus, then through customs as part of the journey involves passing through Chile, then crosssing the strait of Magellan by ferry, then back through customs again back to Argentina and another change of bus! Needless to say we were pretty tired after all that and seeing as its the end of the world here, its pretty cold so the winter woollies have come out.

Ushuaia itself is pretty nice, which even in summer is surrounded by snow capped mountains. Tomorrow we plan on checking out a glacier, and doing a boat cruise to see more seals and penguins. However, we decided to pass on a US$5000 cruise to Antartica till next time!

As for the food, we've had to give up eating out so much - as Garry puts it, we are on a downward spiral to love handles and damaged livers! Plus its just too expensive here, the drink is more expensive than the food. We've also learnt that when lonely planet says book ahead, it actually means you should book ahead! We've just narrowly made it on a few buses (got the last 2 seats here) and also you dont get into the nice hostels with all the aussies, irish, & other english speaking people, and you end up stuck in a room with that weirdo american that nobody wants to talk to - you know the kind!

We'll try and upload some photos now as well, hope it works. And if anyone is reading, make sure and send us some comments back! Right now we are missing normal people!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Shopping in Villa GesellShopping in Villa Gesell
Shopping in Villa Gesell

garry got a new shirt
Pepper?Pepper?
Pepper?

I think the argentinans are having a go at me.
Armadillo!Armadillo!
Armadillo!

Smooth on the inside, crunchy on the outside
Peninsula ValdesPeninsula Valdes
Peninsula Valdes

Very loud Sea lions that can only be seen here & Antarctica
Peninsula ValdesPeninsula Valdes
Peninsula Valdes

Cute little penguins!


Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb