¡Quiero al Sur! ...or the end of the world paranoia


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
January 15th 2006
Published: June 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our trip to Ushuaia

Stops at Bahia Blanca, Puerto Madryn, Comodoro Rivadavia.

English



Here we are again. First of all we would like to thank all the people that are following our trip on this blog and have written a lot of 'nice' (ehmmm...) comments (it's amazing how much a mate mug can do 😊). For those who asked what a mate is, when we have time, we will explain it with an illustrated section. For more detailed replies, see at the end of the blog. The competition for the mate is not over so keep on going!

We are back a little bit more south than last time. Actually, if one wanted to go even souther the only possibility is to swim or to join a cruise to Antarctica. Since our budget does not allow the last option (more than 2000 dollars to freeze among the penguins), from now on we will move northwards. However, instead of talking about our future plans, let us explain a little bit how we got here in Ushuaia. Last time we wrote we were in Buenos Aires, now we are more than 3000 km away. Our original idea was to travel all the way by bus during night in order to save money and time. Actually, the argentinian buses are wonderful, we really recommend them (if you manage to sleep, bring warm clothes and socks... they always overdo with the air-conditioning), but we realised along the way that it was too much (almost beyond the human capability...).

Bahia Blanca

We started from Buenos Aires, with a night bus to Bahia Blanca where we reached our friend Mariela early in the morning. The highlight of our day in Bahia Blanca was the asado at Mariela's place (¡gracias!). After three full trays of beef, we were about to die. But we were really proud of ourselves since we had managed to survive the meal. We gathered all our strength to thank once more the mum of Mariela for the wonderful asado, when we realized that this was just the end of the beef asado and a full tray of cooked chicken was moving towards us... We do not remember what happened next, our first clear memory is about us embarking the bus in direction Puerto Madryn late in the night.

Puetro Madryn

Two sleepless night and we reached Puerto Madryn. If you locate this place on the map, you would realize that we were still quite far away from reaching the "Tierra del Fuego". Going on by bus all the way south would have implied at least other 3 sleepless nights in the bus watching the impressive and remote desolation of Patagonia (every adjective about the desolation of these place is reductive). Luckily, we managed to get a plane ticket from Comodoro Rivadavia to Ushuaia, our soutmost destination. Puerto Madryn is a nice place to stay, there is a quite extended beach and many things to see. The day we arrived we rented a bike to have a ride along the beach and to see the sea lions. Actually, we did not manage to arrive to the place of los lobos marinos (sea lions) by bike. We realised that it was too long, the sun was so strong and we had to go through a desolated road without water for too many miles. We gave it up and we came back the day after by car (much easier...). We could admire from the top of a cliff a very big colony of lobos. It seems that they like living in a kind of 'harem', with about 300 females and 3 males,
PortrayPortrayPortray

A little bit dark... but it gives a little bit of drama
very sexist (for Chiara) or progressive (according to the different opinion of Alvise)... The males are much bigger than the females, we wonder how... see picture... From Puerto Madryn we drove then to Punta Tombo, home of the largest Magellan penguin colony outside Antarctica. They come here every year to reproduce themselves (we have a photographic proof, we may show it one day to the ones interested). Visiting this colony is a unique experience because they are amazingly numerous (you can see a sea of them) and you can walk among them and getting very close (few cm, although you can not touch them... they will nip you back!). Moreover, they are so cute animals, as you can observe also from the pictures, they look at you in a very curious way as if they knew that they are the stars of the day. The night we took another night bus (third in a row) to the amazing city of Comodoro Rivadia, famous for the oil extraction industry, the museum of oil extraction and for hosting, according to the Lonely Planet guide, "the ugliest cathedral you will ever see". Actually we cannot tell a lot about Comodoro, we just stayed few hours (from 4:00 am to 9:00 am!!) in a gas station (where else?) close to the church waiting to get to the airport to fly to Ushuaia.

Ushuaia...¿the end of the world?

Finally... it was a long run (see picture), but somehow we managed. We are in Ushuaia, the southmost city in the world. (Actually there is a little village a little more south... here they call it a settlement to keep the brand name 'city at the end of the world'...). You cannot imagine how many tourists this end-of-the-world thing can attract (us included of course). Here, you can take the end-of-the-world boat (see pictures, we did it), read 'el diario de la fin del mundo', visit the 'museo de la fin del mundo', enjoy a evening at the southmost irish pub in the world, while in the tv Bono sings "we ate the food, we drunk the wine. Everybody is having good time... except you, you were talking about the end of the world" (not joking). Actually, while we were hiking in the national park "tierra del fuego" singing in our heads "this is the end of the world" of REM a car stopped to ask us: " is this direction where the road ends?". STOP IT! We are fed up, we will not go to learn spanish in the school "finis terrae"! The only thing which to us looked like in the end-of-the-world class are the prices! Tomorrow we leave this place and cross the border to Chile and the strait of Magellan. After 15 hours of bus we will reach Puerto Natales, where we will relax a little bit hiking as loaded as camels for 4 days in the national park of Torres del Paine.



Italiano



Eccoci qua di nuovo! Ciao a tutti! Prima di tutto ringraziamo tutti coloro che ci hanno seguiti nel nostro blog e che hanno risposto con così assidui commenti... (eh cosa puo' fare un mate in palio!!!). Mi raccomando non mollate! La corsa non e' ancora terminata ed e' lunga! D'altra parte un mate cosí di classe bisogna meritarselo! Per coloro che non sanno cos'e' o come funziona seguira' una sezione illustrata con spiegazione. Allora, riprendiamo: dall'ultima volta che ci siamo sentiti ne abbiamo fatta di strada, siamo arrivati un po' piu' a sud di Buenos Aires, 3000 km, un bel po'. E visto che piu' a sud di qua non possiamo andare e non vogliamo vendere tutti i nostri averi per prendere una barchetta da 2000 euro che ci porta in Antartide a congelare con i pinguini, dobbiamo proprio fermarci... eh peccato, da ora si andra' sempre piu' a nord! Ora siamo ad Usuhaia, dicono la citta' piu' a sud del mondo, se non si considera che c'e' un paesino (2500 anime) che si chiama 'Puerto Williams' un pelino piu' a sud, ma questo e' cileno, quindi per gli argentini non conta proprio (piu' avanti sentiremo la versione dei cileni...). Siamo arrivati qua un po' provati dopo un bel po' di notti insonni negli autobus. Comunque gli autobus argentini sono superlussuosi... eheh ci aspetta ben di peggio in Bolivia sulle Ande... Prima fermata, Bahia Blanca dove abbiamo ritrovato Mariela.

Bahia Blanca

Siamo arrivati qui abbastanza sfiniti dopo una lunga notte in autobus da Buenos Aires, ma il peggio doveva ancora arrivare. Infatti qui la mamma di Mariela ci ha accolto secondo le meravigliose usanze argentine (giustamente) con un bel pranzetto di asado di carne. ¡Gracias! Il problema e' che dopo aver raccolto tutte le nostre energie per finire il 'piatto'
Patagonia, the land of lovePatagonia, the land of lovePatagonia, the land of love

Sea lions... ¿que hacen?
e ringraziare, abbiamo visto arrivare nella nostra direzione un altro vassoio con un pollo (o due) interi, e ovviamente ci hanno fatto capire che non si poteva rifiutare, bisognava provare anche quello... dopo di questo i nostri ricordi sono un po' offuscati, ci ricordiamo solo di essere saliti sull'autobus per Puerto Madryn la sera...

Puerto Madryn

Dopo una bella nottata in autobus siamo arrivati in questa localita' sulla costa, molto carina. Guardando sulla mappa ci si puo' rendere conto che effettivamente manca ancora un bel po' per arrivare alla Terra del Fuoco. L'attrazione principale di questa zona e' la fauna, ovvero i leoni marini e soprattutto i pinguini. Nell'ostello dove alloggiavamo abbiamo affittato delle bici per fare un giretto e raggiungere la spiaggia con i lobos (leoni marini). Forse pero' abbiamo calcolato male i tempi e soprattutto non abbiamo considerato il calore e la mancanza d'acqua che possono essere letali in una strada sterrata deserta della Patagonia, quindi ci siamo arrivati alla fine in macchina il giorno dopo. La Patagonia sembra veramente terra di nessuno, uno puo' fare miglia, miglia e miglia per strade sterrate (molte non sono asfaltate) senza trovare niente... La colonia di leoni marini era alquanto numerosa, stragrande maggioranza femmine, in un gruppo di centinaia c'erano forse solo 3 maschi (un po' sessista come cosa, secondo Chiara, all'avanguardia, secondo Alvise). I maschi sembrano dei mostri, alquanto giganti ed emanano urli paurosi... vedi foto. Comunque abbiamo proseguito il nostro viaggio verso Punta Tombo dove c'e' invece una colonia di pinguini Magellani enorme, la piu' grande nel mondo dopo l'Antartide. Ci siamo arrivati attraverso una strada di sassi nel nulla di circa 200 km con sforzi enormi per non devastare completamente la macchina e tenendoci svegli con infusioni di mate mentre Mariela guidava. Pero' bisogna dire che ne e' valsa la pena perche' questi pinguini oltre ad essere estremamente numerosi (una distesa enorme), sono anche divertenti, si lasciano avvicinare fino a pochi centimetri di distanza (anche se non si possono toccare perche' beccano). Sembra quasi che siano consapevoli di essere dei gran fighi e stanno li a guardarti e a farsi fotografare, insomma quasi consigliabili come animali domestici! La notte l'abbiamo passata ancora una volta in autobus per raggiungere un posto che si chiama Comodoro Rivadavia e poter prendere poi l'aereo per Ushuaia. Questo posto terribile e' famoso solo per avere pozzi di estrazione del petrolio e la chiesa piu' brutta del mondo... cioe' quando mai capita un'occasione del genere?

Ushuaia...¿la fine del mondo?

Eccoci qua nel posto piu' a sud del mondo. Bisogna dire che quando uno arriva qua viene subito preso dalla paranoia della fine del mondo.
Uno puo' prendere la barca della fine del mondo (l'abbiamo anche fatto, vedi foto), il treno della fine del mondo, leggere il diario della fine del mondo, andare al museo della fine del mondo...Ieri sera mentre eravamo nel pub irlandese piu' a sud del mondo c'era la canzone degli U2 che guarda a caso parlava della fine del mondo e mentre camminavamo su un sentiero di montagna nel parco nazionale cantando nella nostra testa "a che ora è la fine del mondo"di Ligabue, per la strada uno ci ha chiesto se era quella la direzione dove la strada terminava... al che effettivamente beh uno si rende conto che ok sfruttare il turismo ma l'hanno un po' stracciata... quel poco... BASTAAAAAAAAA! Non se ne puo' piu' di questa storia! Non faremo mai il corso di spagnolo alla scuola "Finis terrae" !!! Domani ripartiamo per il nord e andiamo in Chile. L'idea e' di farsi quattro giorni
Dancing with the penguinDancing with the penguinDancing with the penguin

I wonder what he is thinking...
lontani dalla civilizzazione per rifugi nel parco di 'Torres del Paine' carichi come cammelli...


Replies (risposte)



Alan & Carol: In a few months... maybe we will become like that... greetings from Ushuaia.

Jerome: I may believe you about 25 degrees in Basel in January, but, of course, I cannot imagine that swiss people learned how to cook pasta properly... this is too much.

Helmut: we may consider to put something inside the mate, let us see what we can get in Peru...

Stefania & Michel: Thank you! Yours is the first comment from the Netherlands.

Emilie: As you see, you have to fight!

Aida: tanto lo so che in questo momento ti stai sfondrando di cioccolata svizzera comprata alla svendita della Lindt...

Fabriz: ...

Marco: non vale!

Luca Rossi: non ce ne frega niente che hai sderenato Luca Rabboni. Hai avuto l'onore di essere il primo censurato nel nostro blog.

Marieke: Congratulations!!!

Zio Eduardo: resta connesso che un giorno spiegheremo cosa e' il mate e come si beve.

Bassano donnette: eh allora?? quando ci degnerete di un commmento? cosa dobbiamo regalarvi?

Luca Rabboni: tu sei l'unico (oltre a Clod, che comunque non vale, essendo una persone terribile) che non ha commentato a scopo di lucro. Appoggiamo la tua petizione. Grazie!!!

Silvio Berlusconi: chi sei? non ti conosciamo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Driving through PatagoniaDriving through Patagonia
Driving through Patagonia

... a tyical occasion for drinking mate


16th January 2006

Lucky you :)
Hi Chiara, hi Alvise! Really lucky you! It seems you have great time and it's really beautifull country! I envy you :)) Here is so cold and so boring! Just work, work... Now I want to travel as well... These animals are really great. Could you touch them? Were they afraid of you? Ok, have to go... You just keep writing! Your adventures brighten my day :) Enjoy it and have a lots of fun! Greetings, D
16th January 2006

i cessi
Ohilà viandanti! Oh sono notti che perdo il sonno su questa cosa: ma laggiù lo sciacquone del water fa un vortice in senso opposto a qui in Nordlandia? Voglio delle prove! In attesa di una vostra presa di posizione sullo scottante e turbinante tema auguroVi strade libere da gatti neri e chiodi di garofano. "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
17th January 2006

Non vale?!?
Ma come non vale? Ma se guardi nei forum in giro, soprattutto quelli dove vengono premiati quelli che postano più commenti, troverete post ben peggiori! Ormai se fai una domanda in un forum, prima di una risposta da uno che sa di cosa stai parlando, ti arrivano una decina di risposte a scelta tra: "Mah", Chissà", "Non ne ho idea", "TH buco", "E' difficile rispondere", "Non lo so, ma se vuoi ho la ricetta dei bucatini alla sbruzzicosa", "buona fortuna", ecc... Oppure basta dare un'occhiata ai commenti sul blog di Beppe Grillo per capire che forse fanno meglio quelli che dicono poco o nulla dando l'impressione di essere stupidi piuttosto che quelli che vogliono dire la loro e tolgono ogni dubbio!!!
17th January 2006

Prova
Ma vuoi vedere che per vedere subito pubblicati i propri commenti basta registrarsi? Io l'ho fatto (vedi il triste: http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Spirolone/ ) e adesso vediamo se in questo modo si sfugge alla terribile censura che ha colpito il signor Rossi, quell'orribile persona che ha inserito in questo forum frasi fuori luogo come che ha spaccato mio fratello, quando invece... sono stato io a spaccarli entrambi! Si, gliel'ho proprio fatto garbare fino alla mitica parola "Maté"!!! PS: Il precedente commento "Non vale?!?" è ovviamente mio, mi sono dimenticato il nome, non vorrei che faine come Emilie o soprattutto Aida se ne approprino per far numero e impossessarsi del mio mate!!! :>
17th January 2006

English: I hope you'll really enjoy your travel! We miss you! :) Venesian: Tachite a sta gran clava, ti e i 35 gradi! Drissacassi! :)
19th January 2006

Ché flacos!
Chiara, Alvise!! Quante novita'! Congrats per il PhD, dottori!! Simona paraninfa mi rimanda a quella festa a casa mia 2 anni fa! che cose! Pensa, fino a 2 giorni fa ero anche io da quelle parti. Non mi avete visto mentre ballavo il tango per le strade di BA? Mi sono fatto 3 settimane tra Argentina e Uruguay. Vi consiglio le cascate dell'Iguazu e la costa oceanica di uruguay (cabo polonio). Se incontrate un frisone che assomiglia a Tarzan salutatemelo che dopo 3 mesi in giro per il sud america aveva deciso di ripetere. Btw, saluti da Fabio Toninelli che l'ho incontrato oggi qui a cambridge. un abrazo, giovani!
21st January 2006

Gara dei cocktail
Ciao Alvise, ciao Chiara! Sabato sera ci siete vero per la grande festa di Natarnevale qua a casa Arroganti? C'è anche la gara dei cocktail! Che ne direste di un bel Mate per la squadra vincitrice? Chissà, magari vinciamo proprio noi Arroganti! Dai, ci sono tutti... Almeno una mezzoretta (50000 Km per mezzora sarebbe anche il nuovo record!)... Potete anche portare un paio di quei vostri amici della colonia di Punta Tombo... Tra l'altro con un bel pinguino domestico Casa Arroganti farebbe veramente un salto di qualità!!! :>
23rd January 2006

ci
ao

Tot: 0.415s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 17; qc: 100; dbt: 0.236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb