Day 1 - Ushuaia


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
January 10th 2008
Published: January 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After two days, 3 flights and 19 hours in the air I finally arrived to the end of the World, Ushuaia, Argentiana. I had to change airports in Buenos Aires, which was a shock to the system as I was dressed for the cold but there it was 28C. The 3 and 1/2 hours flight to Ushuaia was amazing. We flew over Tierra del Fuego which was breathing taking, the snow peaked mountains were sharp and formed some fantastic shapes on the horizon. Ushuaia, is a really bizarre village. Not only is it the most southern city in the world, but because it´s summer, it has like 20 hours of brightness, which was a bit of a change when i was used to it gettin dark by 5pm in Dublin. There´s one main street that´s filled with tourist shops seling everything from penguins hats to penguin socks. There´s also suprisngly not 1 but 2 Irish pubs ! I normally hate visiting Irish pubs when away, but I had to see why they called them selves Irish, and i found out that´s it´s cos they sell Guiness, which at 18pesos workd out to be just over 4euro, which is cheaper than at home were it´s made !! Seen as Antartica is only next door, well 1000km away, I thought it would be cold here, but it´s only 5C or so, so my long johns havn´t made an apperance just yet. There seems to be a uniform for all toursists though. Rainjacket, trek pants, and hiking boots. I am glad to say blend in very well as a typical tourist ! I´ll try post photos up before I head to the Antartica on Saturday.

That´s it for now,
bye 4 now,
Ali

Advertisement



11th January 2008

hi
happy to hear you arrived safe and not at all surprised that you fit in well with the local tourists!!! maybe the big camera around your neck is a bit of a tip-off? have lots of fun! anja xo

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb