Ushuaia - the end of the World!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
January 23rd 2007
Published: January 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a day of travelling, I made it to Santiago. I didn´t see much of the city apart from the "10 minute walk" from the bus station. I felt very intrepid jumping on a local bus from the airport rather than getting one of the millions of taxis waiting outside the airport. Oooh what a brave world traveller I am!
After a brief game of "Where is Emma Now?" at the hostel, with the hostel staff informing the girls I was "out", the girls insisting I must be there somewhere, and me taking a brief nap in one of our rooms and blissfully unaware the girls had arrived from Mendoza sometime after me, I was reunited with Elizabeth, Mary Kay and Carolyn. Gossip and chocolates were exchanged as per our usual custom and we headed out to the only restaurant open on a Sunday. Lucky it was a good one and the lobster was to die for.
Another day of travelling, this time via a number of places in Chile that involved getting on and off the plane, we arrived in Ushuaia. After thoroughly reading our Antarctic briefing notes, we were armed with fleeces, long trousers and boots only to be greeted with 23 degrees and brilliant sunshine. We were so shocked we immediately organsied a photos shoot with Minnie Mouse underneath the temperature sign. Oh, yes, what tourists... This place is absolutely beautiful - an amazing harbour with huge, snow capped mountains in the background. We wandered around for a while looking up in amazement (and very pleased we could wear shorts) at every turn. The joy continued as we discovered "Wine Shakes". They sounded awful but at around 2 pounds each we thought they were worth the risk. I had sauvignon blanc - mango, Elizabeth pinot - strawberry and Caro syrah - rasberry. They were really icy, fruity and delicous and I´m really hoping right now my dear Dad is not falling over in shock that his daughter has thought of drinking such things. Sorry Dad!
Anyway, we´re off to a penguin colony tomorrow then joining the boat the next day for the trip across the Drake Passage. Cameras and sea-sick tablets at the ready...


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb