Down South in El Calafate


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
February 6th 2007
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Finally got here after what seem like an age(23 hours) through Rio Galleogeos(shitty little windy town used as a stop off, nout else). We were travelling through desert for hours with the odd scattered sheep and emu´s here and there not much else then came around a corner to a monstrous valley with the andes in the distance for effect...unbelievable!!

The gang and ciara checked into the el calafate hostel and then took a stroll around the town. Its a nice little tourst trap that reminds us of Aspen in Dumb and Dumber. The weirdest thing is this palce seems to have more dogs than people though but there all pretty cool and lye on the street during the day for naps and food. Hit the town for a sess, you know the usual...

Next day we went to Purto Moreno Glacier. We trekked through a forest for a while( an age when you have the customary hangover!!) We walked past iceberg´s in the lakes that have broke away from the glacier and saw one sink when we arrived. Every few minutes on the way around you can see big pieces of the glaciers fall off creatig waves up to 3 metres high. The most awe inspiring part is hearing the boom´s when it smashes into the water. Its strange seeing it cos its so big ad moving and growing all the time. Enough of that and we headed back to the town for some bruskies!

Messed around for the next few days and got to watch ireland scrap past wales while the hostel guests look at the weird blanco´s shouting at the TV.

Next day we headed on a 2 hour horsing trekk which i though was the best thing we done so far. When we got on the horses 10 dogs were accompanying us which is the norm in El Calafte. Mr expierence Graham was galloping around while i was trying to concentrate on not falling off from laughing at al´s farting horse!! The dogs only came out for the hunt and we kind of felt like old english toff´s. They got a hare on the run and it flew straight to the pack of horses and the guides was tryed to trample it. He followed into the bush with his knife drawn looking for dinner but no joy. Back on the ranch is were the craic started. Got some beers in and the head rancher started filling our beers with whiskey and passing the wine so we were pissed pretty quickly!! Played some weird game with a nail and a ring while trying to stand striaght. Got into a photo with the ranchers lead dog(im shitting me self its huge!!) which killed a puma on its own once. Could be bullshit but he showed me the puma carcass for proof so i bought it like a good little tourist...

That was about it til we met Craig our new scottish buddy and decided to head trekking in chile.

And that is all for now...


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



12th February 2007

hey
hey hows it going? great reading but put more photos on please!!!! we had a good laugh ay BB n Helenas house warmer but somthing was missing mmmmmmm YOU BLOODY LOT!!!
12th February 2007

Howdy
Im well tina thanks for the great reading comment but its prob a bit boring but im always hungover when im writing it(thats the only time im bothered!!). Trying to put photos up but its really hard cos its 2nd world down here. It will improve now we are back north. Hope all is well back home and the session was good crack. Hope aul beezer gets on well in his house anyway. Jackie is getting closer and closer id say she is getting big considering how she was after 2 months. Any craic going down let me know?? Take care!!
23rd February 2007

momma jackie comin back at ya...................
Hey Niall im lovin your blog. keep up the good work. miss you guys lots. im getting bigger yes, only in the belly and boobs department though thank god!! Paul not complaining!!!!!!!!! Im 20 weeks gone now and have been having some movement in there. Finding it hard to sleep though the little bugger keeps bouncing on me bladder! Lovin the photos too man. Things are so different here now with you guys gone. No more funky fridays boo hoo miss them. ah well at least we're keeping extra vision in business!! Take care kites XXXXXXXXXXX

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb