Puerto Madryn


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Puerto Madryn
February 1st 2007
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Decided we must leave the craziness of Buenos Aires and hit the road for the quiet costal life. Had one last parting shot from the madness though and I got pick pocketed on the subway. Never again will i joke as i did with Dar by telling him that someone should rob us dumb looking tourists(picture silly shorts, a 3 euro t-shirt and a back the size of a house on my back!!). Although i was seriously pissed off, i wont let it taint a brilliant 10 days and even better locals.

After that we had a 17 hour bus journey down the coast to Puerto Madryn. It wasnt too bad and the huge orange bolts of lightning outside during the night and the condors(i think) in the morning helped pass the time.

The dead dog rotting on the side of the road as we entered the city was amisleading sign. Puerto Madryn is a nice city where all the rich Argies go for holidays and even boasts its own Jenkins St. Took it easy that day cos we were wrecked and it was about 35 degrees out. Decided we would try take it handy that night due to the lack of sleep but as usual that didnt happen. Ended up in a cocktail bar seriously pissed and then we headed to the beach for a drunken stroll.

Next day we hired to cars for the gang of 6 and headed to Puerto Valdes Pennisula which is the national park were David Attenborough filmed killer whales beach themselves to catch sea lions sunning themselves. Its still hard to decide which is worse over here, the roads or the drivers and we have been told the Argies are the best in South America. It was great doing a bit of rally driving over the Pennisula(AL sucked).Unfortunately we were a bit early in the season for the whales so no joy. Did get to see sea lions, elephant seals, penguins and egorĀ“s(ill let Al answer that one).

Next day we split our "bording school" hostel(they wouldnt let us drink on a Monday night the bastards) and check into Le Chiques Hostel. Doubt we will stay in a better place during our travels. Claudio and Alexandro the owners were real chilled and the beer was cheap(1 euro) Had a Argentine BBq that night with steaks as long as your arm and drank the fridge empty with Gustavo and his friends.

The next day(Tues i think but not sure about days anymore!!) we rented some bikes with our new english bud Roy and done a 34Km cycle down the coast to Punto Lomo to see some sea lions. We didnt really realise what we were getting in 30 odd degree heat and a hangover in tow just to see some fat animals arguing(thats all sea lions do).It was worth it though, especially when we got to tell graham when we got back that we filled his bag full of rocks. After that it was straight to the beach for a cool off.

That night roy made us a bauty of a veggie curry with a side of BBq chorizo. After dos vino blancos i done a bit of wall crawling and off to bed. The lads went the nite club for some controversy. Then it was time to say slater to Puerto Madryn and look forward to our 24 hr bus ourney to Rio Galleogos then onto El Calafante for some Glacier watching.

Alright if you have made it this far your as bored as me so im stopping here....



Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb