Happy Easter in Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
April 3rd 2013
Published: April 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Pope FrancisPope FrancisPope Francis

They are very proud on their pope
Once again I have seen a new hotel and of course much more important a new city: Buenos Aires



In a nutshell this was an exciting weekend with little sleep. We – a colleague from the bank and myself - left MVD Thursday morning with the ferry direction BA. As ferry trips go, it was an uneventful 3 hours long trip unlike our destination. Buenos Aires is the capital of Argentina, and the second-largest metropolitan area in South America, after Greater São Paulo. BA has about 3 million inhabitants in the city and 13 million in the metropolitan area – in one word HUGE.

But to be honest with you the center felt not as big and scary as I have expected it. Compared to London the subway called Subte is tiny but nevertheless was very helpful and easy to move around in the city, much easier for a non-Spanish speaking me anyhow (Taxi driver do not speak any English). Also walking back to the hotel after dinner was no problem, but I do not want to belittle the risks. Crime is high and I did actually witness 2 police men chasing a motorbike…

Once again
AperoAperoApero

Carlo and myself
the late drinks and dinner can not be escaped. The first night we met with Carlo, an old friend of mine from Chur, around 2200h for drinks and we finished dinner at 0230h. I skipped the clubbing, wish I was 25 again… and this was not just on Saturday night but every night more or less the same late evenings.

Argentina is not as cheap as it once was due to continued inflation each year - the value of the peso has gone down in relation to the dollar over the years. But there is a trick how you get more for your dollars. Since the country is desperate for the dollars (a stable currency – at least compared to the Peso), you take the dollars in cash with you and exchange it at a semi-legal office where you get a rate of 1:8 (the official rate is 1:5). The challenge is to take enough dollars with you and not getting robbed…

Since I put a few pictures of the La Recoleta Cemetery on the blog, I guess I should give you a few details. It is an amazing place funded in 1822. It is set in 5.5
PalermoPalermoPalermo

This is where our hotel was located
hectares with 4’691 vaults, all above ground, of which 94 have been declared National Historical Monuments by the Argentine government and are protected by the state. The most famous ones include Eva Perón, presidents of Argentina, Nobel Prize winners etc.

On Sunday night we went to a concert from the Killers and it was so cool when they shouted “hello Buenos Aires”, it felt like, wow I am really there!!! But on Monday morning it was time to come back to MVD and this was just in time since the rain started. Some of you might have seen it in the newspaper, 6 people died in BA due to flooding, but this more due to the fact that their drain system is old and too small, than torrential rains.



Talk to you soon - xxx P


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Typical coffee placeTypical coffee place
Typical coffee place

Great place for breakfast
Typical coffee placeTypical coffee place
Typical coffee place

there are lots of charming restaurants and coffee places in Palermo, and also the hip bars and restaurants
Railroad crossingRailroad crossing
Railroad crossing

There is a signal which tells you not to cross, but nevertheless not so save to cross ;-)


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb