Poor Niagara....


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
June 29th 2006
Published: June 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well holy shit. What an awesome day we've had. We spent the night on the most comfortable bus ever. Via Bariloche is the bus company. Almost fully reclined with a blanket and pillow and movies showing on TV. Altho this morning it was some weird French movie with Spanish subtitles. Not the easiest to follow along but what can you do... Best sleep I've ever had while travelling though. Also the food was good too. They served chicken breast, with some taters, a salad and bread with wine/coke to drink for supper. Then croissants and bread for breakfast this morning with tea or coffee. Not to shabby at all. Airlines can learn something from these people.

So we arrived here in Puerto Iguazu around 10 this morning and made out way to the Hostel Inn. VERY nice. Apparantly it's an old casino that's been converted to a hostel. It's HUGE, with a nice pool, a bar, music, BBQ, TV, etc etc. They don't have mixed dorms though so Jacq and I will have to sleep in separate rooms... Maybe the other guys won't snore as loud as her... haha!

We took the public bus into the Iguazu National Park where the crazy waterfalls are. Man, apparantly Mrs. Eisenhower said "Poor Niagara" when she saw them. She was probably right. There are like a million different falls all over the place and one HUGE one called Devil's Throat. Apparantly the river is at the lowest level in decades (This one guy working there showed us the sign they had to make especially for this year since the boats have been cancelled many days). We were lucky however and the boats were running today. It's pretty much a Maid of the Mist kind of deal where you go in under the waterfall and get soaked and have a buzz around the river a bit. Very cool, lots of nice views too. Hopefully one of these days we'll find a computer that can handle what we want to do and get some pictures uploaded. This one here, for example, took me 10 mins to check my email and another 10 to get into the blog... Marvelous. Can't complain I suppose, there could be none at all...

Well the weather is a bit nicer up this way. Buenos Aires wasn't too bad yesterday, up to about 12-13°C but here today it was beautifully sunny and close to 20 I'd guess. We walked all around the falls on the Argentinian side, but were disappointed we couldn't go over to the Brazilian side. We had read you could go across the border for the day without the visa but supposedly this is illegal. Spending some time in Brazilian jail didn't really appeal to us very much so we will have to be content with this side. $100US for a visa to get a different look at the same waterfall just isn't worth it.

Well we just came from the bus station and booked our next bus tickets. We're off to Salta, Argentina tomorrow night, but won't arrive until Friday night around midnight. Better make sure I take my books and cards and such with me. That's a long time. And we couldn't get the full bed seats (cama), and have to settle for semi-cama which supposedly are just as good but just a bit narrower. Cheaper too!

Well I think we're off to get some supper. Hopefully some steak - smelling all the BBQ's while walking down the street sure makes a man hungry.

Talk to you all soon.

PS Leave comments please! They're fun to read.

Advertisement



3rd July 2006

Language
Glad you are both having such a good time. Watch the language and don't get all "steaked out". Mom

Tot: 0.398s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb