Day 2 and still alive!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
June 27th 2006
Published: June 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well we're still doing good. I (Jason) managed to get a good nights sleep. There was a big party going on in our hostel last night, but of course the party-poopers we are, we went to bed around 900. haha I fell asleep right away and slept like a rock all night, but jacq said she kept waking up and the people in our dorm room came in drunk making noise. So glad i sleep like the dead....

This morning we got up pretty early and got our showers before there were any lineups. And I must say it was the best hostel shower I ever got. If youre in BA definately stay at the Milhouse hostel... Altho it seems to be a bit of a party house so if youre into that then great. We however would prefer a little more peace and quiet... I guess were getting too old for that racket!

So we got out around 10 and started walking towards La Boca and San Telmo neighborhoods. There were some very nice parks and plazas with statues and palm trees. But also some bums, lots of sidewalks with holes/craters/etc... The city is such a contradiction. One minute you think youre in europe with high class boutiques, the next asia with all kinds of slums and crumbling sidewalks and streets, the next the states with fast food and electronics... so strange. But there is McDonalds on every corner, and Burger King isnt too far behind... And the people are the same way. They all dress so nicely, even though supposedly almost half the country lives in poverty. But they all look so groomed and well maintained. Guess old habits die hard...

If you notice there is a lack of punctuation (ie. apostrophes) its because these Spanish keyboards are not english friendly. The keys are all moved around and even when you try to press them they don{t work. so { is an apostrophe and the 'at' symbol is there but impossible to get on the screen. but what can you do...

We had an EXCELLENT lunch at a restaurant called Musel. I had a huge strip loin steak cooked to perfection, with fries, jacquelin had a delicious pasta dish, we had an empanada each, and 2 cokes each. The bill? All of 47.50 pesos (about 16 bucks Canadian). And this place looked respectable, with nicely dressed waiters, and a huge menu. Can¨t imagine how cheap it is at the real cheap places....

Ok we are going to get our 17 hour bus up to Puerto Iguazu and the falls now. Should be fun! See you all soon!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.389s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb