Part Two - Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Published: June 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Deciding that an extended stay in Bariloche was not worth it, we hopped on our longest bus ride yet—20 hours—to Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina. Let’s just say that Cruz del Norte offered us our best bus ride of the trip! Any bus trip that starts off with whisky on the rocks, beer and wine during dinner, and a dessert of champagne, can’t be bad. We arrived at the hectic Buenos Aires bus station and secured lodging for a few nights.

A few days later, we took our second airplane of the trip to Puerto Iguazu—the launching point to visit some of the most spectacular waterfalls in the world—the Iguazu Falls. These amazing falls are shared by Brazil and Argentina, and you can visit them from both countries. Knowing that Argentina is supposed to afford the better view (and wanting to avoid the cost of getting a Brazilian visa), we just went to the Argentina side.

We truly lucked out with the timing of our visit to the falls, because it was during a full moon, and the park offers special moonlight tours for the lucky tourists. So, once we dropped our bags off at our hostel, we
Falls at NightFalls at NightFalls at Night

Since our camera couldn't capture the falls under moonlight we figured we might as well show you us under the moonlight!
jumped into a city bus and headed for the falls. Our tour began at 9:30 p.m., and boy it was chilly! The experience was wonderful, though. The park rangers guided us under the moonlight, and the only sounds we could hear were from animals that we couldn’t (and didn’t want to) see, and the thundering of the falls in the distance. The moonlight tour took us straight to La Garganta del Diablo (Devil’s Throat), which is the climax of the falls. Not to sound to corny here, but the sight of the falls seriously took our breath away. It just cannot be accurately described—we can only encourage you to go and see for yourself. (Unfortunately, our camera could not capture the falls in the dark, so you will have to take our word for it.)

After the amazing preview of the falls, we got up early the next day to go back to the part and see the rest of the falls. We did a bunch of different walks through the park, including a 2-hour nature walk where we were treated to a visit from Capuchin Monkeys (think Ross’s monkey on Friends). We also were lucky enough to see a Toucan. And, of course, the falls themselves, which we were able to view from every different angle possible. We do have good pictures, which hopefully will give you an idea of how majestic they are.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Flying MonkeysFlying Monkeys
Flying Monkeys

We saw a pack of these Monkeys jumping through the air from Tree to Tree
El Diablo sepiaEl Diablo sepia
El Diablo sepia

Almost 3 months into the trip I discovered the camera can shoot in black and white and in sepia tone..
Dancing the TangoDancing the Tango
Dancing the Tango

When in Argentina...
Melia's FriendMelia's Friend
Melia's Friend

Cute Cat who loved Melia at our hostel


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb