Part Three - Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
June 27th 2006
Published: June 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The luxury busThe luxury busThe luxury bus

Incredible bus to BA (20 hrs)
After two amazing days in Iguazu, we returned to Buenos Aires for our last two weeks. (Yes, we were sad when we realized we only had two weeks left.) Buenos Aires is one of the best cities in the world. Our two weeks there were so great—and we could never do it justice with this blog. Here are some highlights.

We went to 2 local soccer matches. First stop was a local soccer match between a local team, River Plate, and Paraguay. The second match was between Boca Juniors (Diego Maradona’s former team) and another team that we can’t remember now. If you are afraid of crowds or getting trampled to death (which Melia now realizes that she is), an Argentine soccer match would not be recommended. But, if you love watching people go absolutely crazy, singing fights songs before their team has even got on the field, then you must go. It was great. Not only did we learn many Spanish curse words, we learned that balled up newspapers catch on fire very quickly, especially when hurtled into a crowd.

Another highlight was experiencing city living in an apartment we rented for two weeks. We felt like real portenos (what Buenos Aires’ residents are called) living there. We even hosted our first international dinner party for our friends Martin and Corinna from England. Pasta anyone?

Speaking of food, the food of Buenos Aires is amazing. Only there could we feel completely normal eating steak twice a day. One of our favorite meals was the Milanesa Napolitana—just imagine a thin steak, breaded and fried, topped with ham, mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce. Don’t forget the side of french fries!!!

Going to the gaucho fair in Mataderos with friends Martin and Corinna was another highlight. Great shopping, great food and a chance to watch real life gauchos (Argentine cowboys) showcase their horse riding skills. More horse antics continued when we got to see them speeding past us at the horse track in Palermo. We lost 30 pesos (10 bucks). Our excuse is that we didn’t know how to bet in Spanish, but the reality is that we just couldn’t pick ‘em.



Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

River Plate StadiumRiver Plate Stadium
River Plate Stadium

RiverMania before a Copa de Libertadores Game with Paraguay
River Plate Stadium 2River Plate Stadium 2
River Plate Stadium 2

Fireworks from the stands!
River Plate Flag River Plate Flag
River Plate Flag

With the fans going nuts it was time for the huge flag to come out during the game
Boca Jr. Game fansBoca Jr. Game fans
Boca Jr. Game fans

when you can't find a seat climb the fence!


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb