Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Iguazú National Park
February 22nd 2006
Published: March 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

To quote Lonely Planet the Iguazu falls are not your average "isn’t gravity nice" type of waterfalls. This one is bigger, better and wider than all the waterfalls I've seen so far combined. Apparently there are close to 300 falls with up to 80 meters height spread out over 2km. As one tourist brochure claims 1.2 million liters of water run over the falls ever second.
The waterfalls (the river to be exact) are also the border between Argentina and Brazil which gives both sides the opportunity to extract money out of your pocket. The Argentinean side gives you access to more waterfalls and has more walks (most of the close ups of the small waterfalls are from there) but the Brazilian side has the better overview.

The legend has it that the falls were created by a jealous god. He was madly in love with a woman who was in love with someone else (sounds familiar?). As you don’t fool with gods they tried to escape in a boat. But hey he was a god after all, found out and punished them by lowering the river bed in front of them to create the falls (would it be great to be a god sometimes 😉. Obviously both died and he turned into a rock at the bottom of the falls and she into a tree on the top.
The falls were discovered in 1542 by some Portuguese dude and his expedition.

Not much more to say. Have a look at the pics and you see what I mean. Unfortunately you do not see how wide and powerful the waterfalls are in the pictures.

Another noteworthy thing is that due to the close proximity to Brazil the Caipirinha appeared on the menus of nearly all restaurants. Not that my liver is very exited but hey if they cost only USD1.5 you cannot say no can you?

Next stop Carnival in Salvador!!!











Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb