Iguazu Falls - the Argentina side


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Iguazú National Park
December 23rd 2005
Published: December 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


One of the great debates of the planet, especially of people travelling around South America is ... 'which side to see first?'.
I was worried before I got here, that I might see it from the wrong side first and spoil my experience. After listening to many discussions - crossing many language barriers, we decided to leave it to fate.
Fate told us that as the buses to our next destination were booking fast and they had a space only on the 23rd we would do the adventurous day when we had a bed to sleep in, rather than a bus!

After seeing both sides, my advice to anyone coming here would be to quit worrying about it, just as long as you see both sides, toss a coin, throw a dice.. but just GO and see the wonder of the falls!

On this side there are many trails and catwalks to the falls, we got so close to them that we got soaked!

We saw the tracks from below and got a bus across to the river to a small island in the middle. We saw a huge Iguana here. We then checked the falls out from the higher level and got even closer.

My favourite bit had to be the 'devils throat', right at the very top of the falls. On the way up we passed remains of the catwalk that was destroyed in '92 after a huge flood. It was so calm up here just like a normal river, there was hardly any movement. But after walking about 30 mins there was a noise from afar, a noise that became louder and louder with every step until...... there was the loud crash of a gizillion litres of water falling!
The best thing about the devils throat is the water before the fall is so calm and unsuspecting, it has absolutly no idea that it is about to take on the adventure of a lifetime. Its merrily drifting along then... woosh 'whoa' it is suddenly freefalling and energized, forced by the water behind it to crash to the bottom, bouncing off every rock on the way down!

We were very lucky to experience rain, thunder and purple lightening at the falls also extremely lucky as a week ago, this viewing platform was closed as there had been too much rain.

After a few
closer  stillcloser  stillcloser still

look how calm the water is before the falls!
fantastic days here, there is so much more to see of Argentina so we must go, we are heading to the north west province of Salta, 30 hrs on a bus! But am excited, as the buses in Arg are supposed to be amazing!

So until Salta mi amigos!





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



29th December 2005

following the blog
hayley your blog is the best. me, caitlin and mommy are looking forward to seeing you- but from all the reviews- i dont want you back, you need to stop out there- keep going sis, sound so so so good- justneed more pictures... big kisses bruvvv. x x x x

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb