Parque Nacional Iguazu


Advertisement
Published: August 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Devils ThroatDevils ThroatDevils Throat

Inside Devils Throat
After a very comfortable sleep we tucked into a massive breakfast and then met Evelina the charismatic owner of the hostel who greats us all with a warm welcome.

We've paid R$70 each for a day trip to the Argentinian side of the fall. This includes transport and entrance plus Evelina will join us and help us through the border.

We pack up some lunch for later and waterproofs before jumping on the minibus. Evelina gives a spoken tour as we head over to the falls and seems to know everybody she meets.

The entrance fee of ARG$40 is included and we are then offered several options to take boat journeys through the falls and wildlife treks. However we decide to make our own way and set off on a circuit of the park taking the green path, a train to the top of the Devil's throat, the largest fall.

The waterfalls are from this side are difficult to imagine given the scale and we are glad we got an overview from the Brazilian side. We rest up for a little while and let the numerous butterflies flutter around us before taking the train back and then taking the lower trail down to the boat launch.

Here we get a boat to San Martin Island where we have our lunch and whilst Faye sunbaths for a while Tor and myself head into the island to take in the view. Halfway along we are told by a ranger that we must head back because the island is closing but we ignore him and find another view point. Here we lie over the water fall and as the golden sun fall upon us a massive rainbow erupts. It is heart stopping.

We get the last boat back to main land and have time to take in the upper trail before heading back to the entrance.

Once we get back into the minibus we get the added bonus of a trip into Puerto Iguazu via the point where we stand on all three borders of Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay.

Once back at the hostel we take a quick dip in the chilly pool and, being tired, head to a local pizza restaurant where I have my most unusual topping of cheese and peas at the Jardim Da Creveja. It could be worse though...I could have ordered non-alcoholic beer (mentioning no names).


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb