Cataratas de Iguazu 30th May - 4th June


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Iguazu Falls aren't really done justice by words and photographs. I know it sounds cliche, but it just isn't possible to show the immense scale of the falls! The best description would be to say that it makes Niagra Falls look kinda pathtic in comparison (Niagra just has a better marketing campaign). Around 275 small waterfalls (depending on the time of year) over 2.5 Km make up Iguazu Falls and they really are as impressive as they sound.

Photos really don't do the falls justice!
The falls straddle Brazil and Argentina and people debate as to which side is better (usually influenced by which country they are from). After visiting the Argentine side of the falls, we were so awed that we went right back the next day to see it again! The second time round we also took a ride on a boat that went all the way up to the falls and got us completely soaked through. Good fun though. The Brazillian side was more panaramic and let us somewhat take-in how huge the waterfalls are.

Looking down the 'Devil's Throat'.

Don't know how safe getting close to the falls was, but it was a good laugh all the same.
The hostel that we stayed in also made our time in Iguazu pretty enjoyable - all-you-can-eat BBQs alongside all-you-can-drink Caprahiñas were well recieved whilst the evning entertainment, consisting of Brazillian dancers - one of whom looked suspiciously masculine - was a tad odd but all good fun.

After carrying around a whole load of stuff that we hadn't used in 4 months, we decided to post some stuff home. Unfortunately, Argentina has pretty strict customs laws and "beurocratic spanish for customs officials" was something that they neglected to include on my "Teach Yourself Spanish" auido tapes. Somehow we managed to get though it all though, although I may have inadvertantly claimed that I was sending a large amount of dairy products out of the country ....

The falls from the Brazillian side.

p.s. If you're wondering what side of the Argentine side vs. Brazillian side debate we stand on - definately the Argentine side. Aside there being far more to do and allowing you to get closer to the falls, you can get a great steak in the evenings too...



Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb