Cuidad del Este (and on to Iguazu) 29th May


Advertisement
Paraguay's flag
South America » Paraguay » Ciudad del Este
May 29th 2008
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cuidad del Este was a pretty god damn horrible place. Supposedly Lonely Planet describes it as the worst town in South America (we learnt of this after we went there), and we can completely see why. Under the former dictator, President Stroessener, the city (then Cuidad del Stroessener) became a centre for piracy and contraband, being perfectly situated for both since it is on the border between Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil. It felt like the most unsafe place that we've been to so far! Imagine an Oxfam shop, but over several square miles and with a really rough edge to it (no voulenteering old ladies in sight).

We don't actually have any pictures of CdE, because we were too worried about flashing our camera about. As you can imagine, we got into this place and wanted to get straight out. Luckily, there was an old repainted school-bus from the states that ran across the border from the bus station to the town on the Argentinian side of Iguazu falls. Unluckily, it didn't have any interest in stopping for us at Paraguayan emmigration, so we'll find it tough if we ever go back to Paraguay (which I don't think will be a problem to be honest).

Once back in Argentina, we had a steak (of course) and set off for an out-of-town hostel which had rave reviews on HostelBookers.com - check out what we had waiting for us:

A welcome refuge after CdE!
A really nice change from Cuidad del Este! We settled down, had a few beers and looked forward to Iguazu falls in the morning.

p.s. Now that we're writing this article, we can't remember what on earth possesed us to go to CdE. I'd imagine it's because it was on the way and we wanted to see it. Oh well, it was an experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb