Iguazu Falls National Park


Advertisement
Published: March 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today was a BIG day as we awoke at 7:00 AM had a great buffet breakfast at the hotel then boarded the bus for the 15 minute ride to the National Park. The tourist entry fee was $10 US. The first thing we did was head up on the miniature railway to the top water falls. Departing from the train we walked along metal catwalks that took us all the way out and over parts of the upper falls. The walk in was about a 10 - 15 minute walk along the constructed pathways.

Everywhere you go in the park there are thousands of butterflies, all colours, and they do not hesitate to land on your body. The park is open every day of the year and only closes in case of flooding. The catwalks are made of metal grates so they can be taken out in case of a flood. Previously they were made of wood but two big floods in 1983 and 1992 completely destroyed all the wooden planking because of all the debris the floods would pick up.

The native birds on the tree branch (see picture) are within touching distance as you walk along the walkway. We took about an hour at the upper falls, across the falls is the Brazilian side, then it was back on the train and returned to the main entrance where we made our way along the Lower Trail which was about 3 kilometers long. Then our Great Adventure began. For $30 US/person you make your way down along a pathway to the bank of the river across from San Martin Island. After putting on your lifejacket and placing anything you wish to remain "dry" into a plastic bag they provide you with, we climbed into a 32 seat powerboat/raft and it took us around Devil's Throat and under some of the falls. Apparently you get a full refund if for some reason you are not drenched after the experience (wearing rain jackets excluded). No one in our group collected their refund.

Then it was off down the river for 2 or 3 kilometers through some rapids and finally docking and climbing up 214 steps to a pick-up spot in the sub-tropical jungle where a 4-wheel drive truck took us the 4 kilometers back to the park entrance. There was so much to take in, so much to see, so much to appreciate today, you will get some idea from the pictures. Back at the park we had a late lunch then shopped at the various gift - craft shops. We then climbed onto our bus for the return to the hotel. While everyone had a major workout today the girls still found enough energy to jump into the hotel pool. Dinner tonight will be the same wonderful hotel buffet we had last night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Three FrontiersThree Frontiers
Three Frontiers

This point is located just outside of the the town of Iguazu. It is called Three Frontiers. Mandy is standing in Argentina, over her left shoulder across the Iguazu River lies Brazil and over her right shoulder across the River Parana lies Paraguay.


24th March 2007

AWESOME
TOTALLY GREAT
25th March 2007

..... pretty falls
you guys are too lucky you've got nice weather.. if you stood underneath those falls... yeah thats what its like here :( theres like the tinyest bit of sunshine here YEAH YEAH!!!! The falls look very pretty, and i want to go river rafting :( --Kara ps 2 DAYS TILL MY BIRTHDAY LAUREN DON'T FORGET!!!!
25th March 2007

how nice
sounds lile a Discovery Channel trip so far. Very envious indeed since it has rained here in Vancouver since the day you all left. buenos dias

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb