Day 5 ....Friday


Advertisement
Published: March 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast at the hotel we depart at 10:00 by bus for the airport where we pay a $16 US departure tax / per person to fly out of Montevideo. It is approximately a 35 minute flight to Buenos Aires. We will have a 1 3/4 hour stop over and then catch a flight to Iquazu Falls which is located in northeast Argentina adjacent to the Brazilian border. Part of the falls is located in Brazil but we will remain on the Argentinian side only. We will be staying at the Hotel St. Georges which is about 10 kilometers from the falls. Here are some final images of our stay in Montevideo. ¡Hola! ....and Ruth.....we wish you were here!

The 30 minute flight from Montevideo to Buenos Aires took 45 to 50 minutes because for some reason it is more cost effective to burn aviation fuel and circle the airport than land earlier when there were no gates available. The hour and 45 minute flight from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls was very smooth. As we descended through the clouds all you could see was tropical vegetation and a large river. Off in the distance you could make out what must have been the falls themselves. The vegetation was so dense you could not see the ground. The Iguazu Airport is a cut-out in the middle of this forest with a single runway. We were met at the airport with a double-decker sightseeing bus which transported us to the Hotel Saint George's.

The temperature when we got off the plane was 79 degrees Farenheit with high humidity. The hotel is first-class and the girls were very excited when they saw the swimming pool in particular. The evening is off and everyone is exploring the town of Iguazu. Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina's borders all meet around the falls. The closest Brazilian city has 350,000 people and the closest Paraquayian city has 160,000 people. The town of Iguazu on the Argentinian side has a population of 35,000 people. As we do not have Brazilian visas, we'll be staying on the Argentina side of the Iguazu Falls. Our tour tomorrow will start bright and early at 8:30 AM.... Ruth, wish you were here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



24th March 2007

VISITOR
WOW what a great trip and what a nice way to watch the trip. This is great and may I say that the person sending the world this journal is doing a SUPER JOB. ENJOY

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb