Iguazu Falls National Park


Advertisement
Published: February 12th 2024
Edit Blog Post

A visit to this region isn't complete without visiting Iguazu falls which is located between Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay. You can visit the falls from the Brazilian side or the Argentina side. I started with the Brazilian side which offers a more expansive view of the falls. Iguazu Falls are two times taller and three times wider than Niagara Falls to give a frame of reference. That said Victoria Falls in Zambia/Zimbabwe is the tallest in the world while Murchison Falls in Uganda is the most powerful. There are walkways that allow you to get views of the falls from many different angles to fully grasp the shear size. Seeing this side takes majority of the day. I decided to rent bikes to be able to ride into the national park instead of taking the bus.

The following day I visited a very impressive bird conservation center. It is one of the largest bird parks in Latin America. They have over 120 species of birds of the Atlantic Forest in some danger of extinction. They have all been recused and some are in breeding programs to be able to release back into the wild

Later in the day I walked over the friendship bridge to Paraguay. In comparison to Brazil Paraguay felt much more like developing country. They have a unique relationship with Taiwan that gives them the ability to sell goods for very cheap. For example I saw a suitcase in Brazil for $45 to $50USD, that identical suitcase was for sale for $22 in Paraguay. People travel from far reaching places in Brazil to buy good in Paraguay, many times for resale purposes.

To see the Argentinian side you can take a taxi that will wait for you while you clear the customs at the border. The Argentina's side of the Falls is not as close, but it allows you to see the falls from a farther distance to appreciate how many pieces there are to the falls. In 2023 there were massive rains in this area and some of the viewing platforms for the falls were washed away.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb