Good-Bye Argentina


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza
January 10th 2006
Published: January 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wed. 4th. Jan.
Twiddling our thumbs at the terminal for 2 hours means that our arrival in Salta is delayed until 5:00 p.m. Lovely hotel again, with cold swimming pool, nice square and lovely architecture -what more could we want.

Thurs.5th.
Following tourist office advice, we catch the local bus to San Lorenzo and drive past really, really expensive houses, everyone with a large swimming pool - and even one with horses grazing on the lawn. Nothing much here, a bit like Swallow Falls, Betws-y-Coed, so we head back to our hotel to laze by the pool. We have it all to ourselves until it's in the shade and then the sensible people come out, so off we go to the cable cars. This is more like it - breath-taking views of the city, surrounded by mountains with an imaginative, man-made waterfall at the very top. Another full day at the office before having dinner outside in the square.

Fri. 6th.
Did our obligtory sight-seeing tour, cathedral alters made completely of gold etc...., giving the sun time to warm up the swimming pool, before we head back. At 9:30 we leave to go Calle Balcarce, which had been a run down area by the railway station, now transformed to the in place to eat. It was fantastic. Restaurants with live music, and national handkerchief dancing, and hordes and hordes of people walking up and down the street. The bohemian atmosphere was electric, so much so that I talked Jim into yet another bottle of wine.
Even walking back at 2:00 a.m., we were enticed by more haunting music, coming from a bar and sat at a pavement table, soaking up the atmosphere and drinking water, would you believe? One of the best nights out we've ever had!

Sat. 7th.
We love Salta, and every backpacker must go there, but our overnight stops in Catamarca and La Rioja were unmemorable, except for the heat, an unbearable 52 deg., cooling down to 32deg. at night!
During our bus journeys in South America, we've passed many a shrine, either to the Virgin Mary, or marking a place where an accident had happened. The very sad ones are those with red flags, indicating a child's death. On the lighter side, piles of plastic bottles are left by people asking for wishes to be granted. One we desparately wanted to see was the one for wedding dresses. Women go there to pray for a favour, then leave their wedding dress. Apparently, there are hundreds of dresses stacked up.

Mon. 9th.
Arrived in Mendoza at 6:00 p.m. and we are welcomed back to our hotel like long lost friends, catch up with the BBC World News, and find somewhere air-conditioned to eat.

Tues.10th.
Slept in untill 10:30, but no problem getting a late breakfast. Like we've said, no-one keeps to time here. A beautiful day with the temperature down to a pleasant 30 deg., with a breeze. The only problem was buying Gilbert a t-shirt without the dreaded "10" on it! Then we sit in one of the 5 squares, updating this blog.
Our meal tonight will be at our favourite restaurant for our last Argentine steak, and then tomorrow, the bus to Santiago for the flight to New Zealand. We're tempted to sleep in again, and be stuck here for a while longer, but common sense prevails and we'll leave on a high.
I've kept Jim's waffling on a tight rein until now, but he's so enamoured with the country, we both are, that I'm cutting him some slack!
" Goodbye Argentina! Before we leave you we have to pay our dues to your hospitality and the spectacular scenery of the whole sub-continent. Gracias y Adios !"


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb