Mendoza - 15-17 Dec 2013


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
December 17th 2013
Published: January 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Andes RoadAndes RoadAndes Road

A long way up
Sunday 15th December (Odyssey Day 37)







We departed Santiago today – it is our last glimpse of Chile. We are leaving the country for the last time today. We had to head up the mountains to get to the border and the roadworks made it a long trip up. We went up a road that zigzagged up the mountains about 30 times. The view was absolutely amazing!







We managed a relatively simple border crossing, but then another half hour down the road we came to a customs screen and they made us go all the way back to the border because we didn’t have everything they wanted from us. That took up all the time we had saved from the easy crossing in the first place.







I still have some peso’s left though. Oh well, perhaps I can change them in Brazil. Argentina won’t have a very good rate if they change them at all. Then again, I’m not sure any other country will want to change them either. Fortunately it’s not worth too much really.



Border CrossingBorder CrossingBorder Crossing

A game of cricket at the border




We stopped for lunch on the side of the road after crossing into Argentina. From here we could see Aconcagua, the highest peak in the Southern Hemisphere at nearly 7000m.







We arrived at our hotel in Mendoza just before 1800. We have the triple room this time – Ellie, Anne and myself. There are five single girls so we will be rotating the twin and triple rooms with each hotel we stay at.







The hotel room is decent enough. Not very big but I get the internet in the room and we can all fit our bags in without tripping over them. I will be spending the majority of the next couple of days on my bed resting my legs, and allowing the burns to heal without getting infected. And I will make absolutely sure that I don’t get burnt like that again!!















Monday 16th December (Odyssey Day 38)







Today I had a very lazy day. Breakfast was until 1030 and
MendozaMendozaMendoza

AJ on a wine tour
was quite a large selection of food. It was nice to take our time in the morning.







So I spent some time doing some washing today. There are laundry services at most of the hotels, but they are quite expensive when I’m perfectly capable of doing my washing by hand. Since today I have plenty of time, that’s exactly what I did.







Emma was on a bus heading back to Santiago early this morning in order to pick up some parts for Ithaca that Simon had ordered and hadn’t arrived by the time we left yesterday. She is hoping to make a trip there, pick up the parts which have now arrived, and then be back in Mendoza by the time we leave. At least everyone says the buses here are really good and the overnight ones come with berths to sleep.







The group met up at 1415 for an organised wine tour. Mine you, the first 45 minutes were spent driving around various hotels to pick up other people doing the tour. At least the coach was air
MendozaMendozaMendoza

I don't think Ellie enjoyed this wine
conditioned though. Maddie and Johnny nearly missed it but managed to jump on when the coach went past our hotel the second time.







We visited three wineries in the region, an olive oil production place and a chocolatier in town. The wines were okay, the olive products were delicious, and the chocolate? Well, all-you-can-eat chocolate at 9pm – what’s to complain about? Amazing. They quite literally placed a few large trays of assorted chocolates out for us and just let us have at them! We all quickly discovered that yes, there is in fact a limit to how much chocolate you can eat in one sitting…



















Tuesday 17th December (Odyssey Day 39)







Our second day in Mendoza was spend relaxing. Watching television for a change (something I don’t even do back home) and resting. It was sweltering hot again today and I must admit it was nice to have air-conditioning on demand.











I did manage to sort through my bag in an attempt to lighten it a bit. I have now packed up all my cold weather gear (scarves, gloves, beanie, vest, jacket, etc.) and put it away to leave in the back of the truck. I certainly won’t be needing it for a while, so no need to carry it around all the time.







We did hear from Emma, saying that while the parts she returned to Santiago to collect were there, they wouldn’t let her collect them!! Talk about frustrating! So she is headed back on an overnight bus and should be here in time for an 0800 departure in the morning. Fingers crossed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Andes RoadAndes Road
Andes Road

Tunnels, sort of...
MendozaMendoza
Mendoza

Ready to try some olives
MendozaMendoza
Mendoza

Sunset from the coach
MendozaMendoza
Mendoza

Chocolate!!!


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb