Back to the Big City!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
July 15th 2006
Published: July 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We made it back to Buenos Aires after a few nice quiet days in Uruguay. We both love this city and are glad we left lots of time at the end to see everything.

So our homecooked pasta was excellent the other night. Onions, peppers, ground beef, some spices from the hostel cupboard and pasta was tasty. And only a couple of dollars. It rained all day Thursday again so we sat inside and played about 200 games of crazy eights, some scat and yahtzee. Then early Friday morning we were up before dawn to head down to the bus station. A two hour bus and 3 hour boat ride later we were back in Buenos Aires and checked into our private room.

I´m so glad we splurged for our own room with our OWN BATHROOM. It´s so nice to have a quiet sleep and then get a shower when you want instead of waiting for others to finish and leave a dirty wet bathroom behind. We had a nice sleep in this morning before heading out on a trek.

Last night we headed down to Puerto Madero (down by the river) for a restaurant recommended by Ewan, my dads cousin we stayed with. Siga la Vaca it´s called. All you can eat steak buffet (yes that´s right you go up to this crazy long grill and just point to the meat yuo want and you get as much as you want). How much would you be willing to pay for such a thing? If you said 36 pesos (12 bucks) you´d be right! And that includes a liter of drink (coke, wine, beer, etc) and all the bottled water you can drink! What a crazy deal and what a crazy feed we had.

We made it out to Recoleta neighbourhood today after a little sleep in to see the crazy cemetary and Evita´s grave/tomb/mausoleum. Interesting but they all look the same so that didn´t take too much time. There was a great market nearby, we each bought a few things, and also the Hard Rock Cafe for some overpriced T-shirts.

Then we went to the planetarium to find out they only offer translated shows sometimes. After walking a half hour to get there we were not impressed. But just down the road the airport was cool with the end of the runway right by the street so we got to stand under a plane while it was taking off. Very fun.

We also made a quick stop by the Canadian Embassy but it was closed so we got a quick pic and headed off for this Italian restaurant that was supposed to be excellent. But of course like everything else here it is closed until 8 or 9pm (they eat WAY too late around here) so we just hopped the Subte (subway) back to the hostel and had all you can eat pizza for $2.50. Can´t complain about that.

Now we´re off to bed. Tomorrow we think we´ll go to the zoo and the Japanese gardens. Then Monday is our last day! Sad times.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb