The Museum


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
January 31st 2008
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Capsized ShipCapsized ShipCapsized Ship

Just don't make ships like they used to???
After reading the guidebook it would appear that glasses are really inexpensive here, so we headed out to the recommended optometrist. Just outside the door was a new dog walker, and did he have a few dogs or what. As we walked down the canal, we noticed the tide was out and low and behold, there was a ship that had capsized beside the wall. Just goes to show you that not all ships are created equally. Anyway, we continued on our way past the Military HQ where they had this weird shaped tree - never seen anything like it before. Crossed over the road and there was another 1959 Ford Falcon, this one was in really good shape. Finally got to the subway line where we had the opportunity to ride on one of the original subway cars - wooden seats and all, but no A/C.
After getting out of the subway we headed up to Avenida Santa Fe to do a little shopping. On the way we passed Avenida 9 de Julio; at 140 meters, it is the world's widest avenue. Its name honors Argentina's birthdate. (July 9, 1816). The avenue runs from the Retiro district in the north to Constitucion station in the south, roughly one kilometer to the west of the Rio de la Plata waterfront. At the far end of the avenue there is the Obelisk.
Well, shopping was not going so well, in fact Jo didn’t buy anything, so we hailed a cab and went to the Carre Four to do a little wine and grocery shopping. Just beside the store is the MALBA - Museum of Latin American Art. The price was right - free on Wednesdays, so we went in to have a look at the art. The building itself was quite spectacular, so was some of the art.
After a short tour of the museum Jo decided that we would have lunch in the museum restaurant. I am thinking museum and restaurant, what is this old food? Jo joked that I had never had lunch at a museum except maybe Disneyland. Anyway, as it turned out we each had one of the best salads we have ever had, along with a really good bottle of wine. To top it off, we had Tiramisu for dessert - it almost as good as Elvi’s (Antelao restaurant in the Delaware Water Gap).
After lunch, we
Weird TreeWeird TreeWeird Tree

There are trees, and then there are trees.
went to the Carre Four. This is one big store, and did they have a nice selection of wine and food. So, we shopped for a while and then jumped in a cab and headed back to the apartment. After putting the food away, we went to the pool and soaked up the sun - some of us also soaked up a beer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Old Subway CarOld Subway Car
Old Subway Car

How would you like to ride this subway to work everyday??
9 de Julio9 de Julio
9 de Julio

Didn't make it across on one light - one big street.
ObeliscoObelisco
Obelisco

BA is the city of monuments and statues.
MALBAMALBA
MALBA

Museum of Latin American Art - FREE!!!!
Great SaladGreat Salad
Great Salad

Lunch was not free.
Carre FourCarre Four
Carre Four

Almost as good as Wegmans.
Soaking up the BeerSoaking up the Beer
Soaking up the Beer

Ahhhh retirement!


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb