Riding the Rails to San Isidro


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
February 1st 2008
Published: February 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After getting an update from Marie (thank you SKYPE) we headed out for the countryside. Took the usual walk to get the subway and went over to Retiro train station. The first train could best be described as a “cattle car” and we boarded for Mitre. After we sat down and the train got underway one of the ladies across from us wondered why a couple of tourists would be going on this train - like we look like tourists. As it turned out, we had gotten on the wrong train - we were on the right train in the station, but they made an announcement on the train and everybody got off and went to the train on the other side of the platform. So, this is how we ended up on the wrong train. So, we got off the cattle car and waited for the train to Mitre, which also turned out to be a cattle car - I mean what do you expect when it costs 25 cents to go 15 Km.
At Mitre we walked through the station to the other side where we bought our tickets on La Tren de la Costa. These tickets were almost $3 each, but then this was a touristy light rail train. We were heading for San Isidro. After we got moving, the lady in front of us opened her knapsack and out popped a cute little kitty - he was so young, acted just like Inspector Cody when he was a kitty. I guess cats travel in knapsacks in Argentina. About 20 minutes later we got off at San Isidro.
The San Isidro station is very nice; it has many shops and restaurants, and yes we did some shopping and bought a bunch of stuff. We then went for lunch at the BA JO restaurant - the food was good, but the service left a little to be desired - love the hamburger with the fried egg on to - just like the one I had in Hawaii last year.
After a day of shopping it was time to return home so back onto the rails we went. As we approached Retiro Station you could see a large number of wealthy homes on the right side of the tracks; however, on the left side of the tracks there was a shantytown. Imagine buying a million dollar home that overlooks the shantytown. Apparently this is a famous shantytown, because according to the tour guidebook, you can take a bus tour of the place for only $70(US). The place has a President and is operated just like a CO-OP. I wonder if he gets a cut from the tour companies??



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb