Argentine Observations: Classes


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
August 15th 2007
Published: August 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hola a todos,

So, after going through my first week-or-so of classes here at La Universidad del Salvador (USAL), I've made a few observations about how the class situation seems to work here. Yeah, it's REALLY different from what I'm used to in Georgia (GC&SU).

Since it seems to be my style of writing blogs, here's the usual breakdown:

1) CLASS SCHEDULES - The classes here seem to only meet ONCE a week for anywhere between 2 - 4 hours. I'm not trying to say that it's easy, it's in another language for goodness sake, but it does seem to be a bit more laid back...as with all of South America. Also, it's RARE to have a class here that meets more than once a week, and even if it does, it still meets for at least 2 hours both days. Yeah, this is definitely a change for me. Oh yeah, and they don't give out a syllabus. Basically, you have to ask those kinds of ?'s on the first day to get all that type of info from the teacher. At GC&SU most people try to stay away from those types of classes to free up more of their day. What's wrong with this system?

2) LEVEL DIVISION - Not only do the classes only meet once a week, the majors are divided up by class. For example, all freshman in a given major may take classes from 8am-11am every day of the week, sophomores from 10am-2pm everyday of the week, etc. Yeah, this is a bit of a problem when coming in as an exchange student. Because classes aren't taught in the same system/order, most international students take classes in various levels all at the same time. This makes the registration process a bit frustrating and meticulous. However, it does seem like a pretty fair system from the home university perspective.

3) REGISTRATION - Now, as far as registration goes, it’s HEAVEN and a PAIN, all at the same time. Basically, we have 2.5 WEEKS to go to whichever classes that we want to in any major before finalizing classes. On the other hand, the registration process here is a bit unorganized, giving complete reason to the registration process. Oh yeah, and considering the division by level of some of the majors and the fact that most classes are only once per week (as mentioned above), it pretty much takes 2 weeks to try out all of your classes considering the probability of coinciding schedules.

4) BREAK TIME - The one benefit to the classes being so long is that MOST of them have a break in the middle. Basically, halfway through the class, everyone gets up and leaves to either go for food/snack/mate/chillin’ or even to leave completely. I've been in classes where the class begins with 30 people and only 15 return after the break. It's kind of a weird system, but no one (the teacher) seems to have a problem with it. In some cases, the teachers even go out during the breaks and talk/chill with the students. It's pretty wild.

5) DOUBLE TALK - Here, there doesn’t seem to be the same rule about “NOT talking while the teacher does.” In every class that I’ve gone to, there have been anywhere from 3 conversations going on apart from the teacher’s lecture, and the teacher DOES NOTHING. It’s weird, at GCSU and many other schools, the teachers don’t tolerate outside conversation during class time. Here, nobody seems to care, they just continue on with their lecture. Who’d of thought?

6) TEXT BOOKS - So yeah, in the states most of us are paying anywhere from $100 up for any random book for any random class that's not even in your major, or maybe is. Anyhow, I must say that it pleases me to say that when I went to the university bookstore to just look at books, most of them were around 100pesos or less (under $35US). Yeah, this made me happy. Anyhow, the main point of this bullet is to point out that most of the required texts in the classes are to be picked up in packets at any of the THOUSANDS of photocopy shops in the area (the specifics are given by the teacher). Basically, you go to class and whenever there is reading material, the teacher tells you to go to the printshop to pick up a copy of text. The best part about it is that you only have to pay like $2US for the packets, which usually contain a few weeks worth of work. I kinda like this method. Too bad we don't have photocopy shops every 10 feet in the states. Well, at least not around GC&SU.


Advertisement



22nd August 2007

Differences in Classes
I am so glad you are experiencing college in a totally different format. It is interesting that there are frustrating components in both venues and positive components in both formats. You will have more understanding and empathy for international students at GCSU.
22nd August 2007

Hmmm..... interesting
Man, I know if we were on that system in the US, i would be SUCH a lazy student! I dont like the students talking while the professor is, cause i would slap somebody or be like U GOTS TA GO! Or somethin to that effect, cause i can barely concentrate in class as is... I dont wanna know about who is so and so's baby daddy and all that drama. -TK

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb