Great philosophers: Confucius, Socrates and Ranjit


Advertisement
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Tigre
January 12th 2009
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -34.5843, -58.5251Up at 5:45 AM for the early train to the Tigre Delta. For a tour, you'd think it'd be a little more luxurious, in terms of sleeping in, but this is as rough as my backpacking trips! Breakfast was skipped, and we piled into a bunch of taxis bound for the train station.Ranjit made an interesting observation - he told Wade and I that last night he had been casually ga... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

l4l4
l4

It's Argentina, so it was only a matter of time before a pick-up soccer game broke out.
l5l5
l5

After polishing off the meat, the first of the desserts came out - the flan wasn't burnt, and tasted much better than the one we had at the mountain retreat. There was an option of having it with dulce de leche or whipped cream, but because the majority wanted both, the lady simply brought out a few big bowls of the stuff for us to scoop into our flan.
l6l6
l6

The rice pudding was pretty blah - a little bit hard, it could've benefited from a longer cooking time.
nn
n

Darcie ended up going on an optional horseback ride, and returned to tell us that it was gorgeous, and that they had gone through these beautiful, wide open spaces. Why didn't they hike us through there, instead of through the bush and all those mosquitoes???
n2n2
n2

Alex, decked out in his finest cowboy attire!
pp
p

After lunch, we all relaxed in chairs and hammocks ...
zhzh
zh

Our guestbook comments. Whoever wrote that last comment must be completely obsessed with Spain. Oh, wait ... that was my comment ...
zizi
zi

I loved how our boat had emergency exit signs. Do people really need to be told where to jump out of an open-air boat?
zkzk
zk

A dude with hair ALMOST as funky as Martin's!
zlzl
zl

Back in Tigre, walking past the McDonald's. Now that we were all full of BBQ, the McDonald's was finally used in the manner most befitting such a purveyor of crap - as a public bathroom!
zmzm
zm

Dinner at Sipan - unfortunately, with a group this size, we ended up sitting outside the restaurant in a corridor, which had no air conditioning, only a fan that we could barely be felt at the far end of the table.
znzn
zn

First up was an amuse bouche - a spoonful of rice and corn, accented with soy sauce and lime. Though the rice was a tad hard and salty ... wow! It had a great little spiciness to it, and was a nice start to the meal.
zpzp
zp

Next were a couple more spoons filled with various goodies - mussels, corn, onions, and bell peppers. A little spicy, and quite good. The best was incredibly tender octopus, garnished with deliciously crisp fried onions. Wow! Hopefully these first few tastes are a good indication of what else is to come!
zqzq
zq

On to a sashimi dish - salmon with more of those fried onions. It came with wasabi but no soy sauce, which probably wasn't necessary anyway, because it was served with a tangy sweet sauce. The salmon was top-quality, and those onions were still to die for - so light and flavourful, with an incredible texture.
zrzr
zr

Scallop gratin - a tad overcooked, but the melted cheese was great. The fried vermicelli in this dish wasn't crisp, but chewy and a bit tough - perhaps the humidity wreaked havoc with its texture?
zszs
zs

Sushi roll stuffed with avocado, crab, and cream cheese. It was OK, but too much like something you could get in North America. Given some of the innovation we had seen in the earlier dishes, I didn't expect to see something so pedestrian. For me, this is where the meal started to go downhill.
ztzt
zt

Fried yucca - the crisp exterior was good, but too starchy on the inside for my palate. I didn't care much for the flavour of the yucca, but quite enjoyed the chile sauce it was served with.
zuzu
zu

Fried wonton, stuffed with crab, perhaps? Served with sweet and sour sauce, this dish was too "ginger beef" for my taste. Coming to a restaurant like this, I don't want something that I could get at a shopping mall food court.
zvzv
zv

Flounder - snapper like, the presentation was nice, but it tasted a bit blah.
zwzw
zw

The first of the ceviches - just fish, it wasn't anything special.
zxzx
zx

The second of of the ceviches - with shrimp, scallops, other shellfish, octopus, and salmon. The salmon was good, but the scallops were mushy inside. The best seafood in this dish was the octopus. The pickled shredded yam garnish was excellent.



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb