Tigre Tour


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Tigre
October 28th 2010
Published: October 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I went on a tour today of the town of Tigre on the river delta by catamaran and then on to the town of San Isidro by train. The river people live in houses on stilts because of the rising river at times. Several private clubs in BA have rowing practice on the river from their private docks, and also vacation houses. The vegetation in the are is semi tropical and lush. The town of San Isidro is the fifth of ten stops on the train from the station where we embarked, Delta, and is a short ride on a quaint little train. I don´t think the train is more than a tourist attraction, but it was pleasant to ride. There is a cathedral in the town and the usual shopping opportunities, but it was a good thing that there was not more to see since we only had a half hour layover there before going back to BA. Once a week they have an artisan fair with lots of vendors on the steps leading to the cathedral, and that must present some problems for the tour guide trying to herd clients back to the bus. But it wasn´t today.

Street activity on the Avenida de Mayo where my hotel is located remains very high as a result of the death of the former President yesterday, today being the first of three days of official mourning. It is a peaceful if noisy group. Since he appears to have been greatly loved and respected by the citizens, I imagine that the thousand of people out and about with flags and flowers is on a par with what occurred when Eva Peron died.

I saw some street tango performers today while walking to the travel agency for onward tickets, and the usual street peddlers with their assortment of handicrafts. Nothing tempting though (good, need to save money ). Caio, all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb