A step back in time


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
August 28th 2006
Published: August 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The tramThe tramThe tram

This tram had been used as a school classroom for decades until it was discovered and restored just a few years ago.
In the barrio of Caballito it is possible to take a step back into Argentine history. The Asociación Amigos del Tranvía run a "heritage tramway" which you can travel on at the weekends. It's free which is a bonus!

Okay, so the track is only 2km long in total but it was nice to see a slice of life from Argentina's past. It really makes you wonder why they tarmacked over all of the tram tracks and replaced them with collectivos.

There were souvenirs on sale too, but the conductor only stopped at local tourists to sell them. Makes a change as its usually the overseas visitors who get hassled for such things.

The murals decorating the wall of the Subte train service yard are well worth a look too. They show a potted history of transportation in Argentina.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The conductorThe conductor
The conductor

The conductor was friendly and didn't try selling us keyrings and postcards. The commentary was delivered at a slow enough pace for our poor spanish to cope with too.
MuralsMurals
Murals

Excellent colourful murals depict the history of Argentina's transport system.


7th February 2010

Tram tracks
I noticed the tram tracks, some covered over, in San Telmo. I think it would be nice to bring the trams back in the city.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 15; ; mem: 1mb