Viva Argentina!


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After months of (non) preparation and thinking about today, it finally arrived... and with it, my first interaction with an Argentine-who happened to be Chilean. Rodrigo is in his late 60´s, if I were to guess, and moved here from Santiago after the coup in 1973 that left democratically-elected Socialist president Allende dead (thanks Nixon/Ford!) and instated the lovely Pinochet (thanks, CIA!). Rodrigo had quite a few things to say on this topic, which would have been quite interesting if I could have understood more than 30% of his diatribe. Instead, I found myself "mm-hmm-ing" and nodding through a majority of his speech, and when he finished it with a hearty "Viva Argentina!" I was roused enough from my half-slumber to respond "Que viva!" and then realize that it was most likely a sarcastic exclamation. So be it. I gave him a good tip.

Upon arrival to my hostel, breakfast was just finishing up and so I had a chance to grab a cup of coffee before ostensibly grabbing a quick-ish nap. This nap was not to be, as I got roped into a 3 hour walking historical tour instead. I saw la Casa Rosada! A tango show! Met some Brazilians and picked their brains about the best cities to see the Copa Mundial! Ate my first empanada de pollo in 6 years! All in all, a good way to start off this whirlwind tour of the southern cone. I´m psyched to see what Argentina has in store (hopefully no more Chilean Spanish.)

Advertisement



21st June 2012

Love Buenos Aires!
I am following the blog, Charlotte! Keep up the posts. Hasta Luego!
21st June 2012

have made copies..and will mail to gm inez ..can't wait to come down!..save me some vino!
21st June 2012

Finding your way
As usual your connection with locals will be the source of your learnings and joy. Have fun and I look forward to future posts. Dad

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb