Buenos Aires!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
November 16th 2011
Published: November 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

I arrived in Buenos Aires at the end of August with the intention to work there for the last 2 months of my trip. My reasons were primarily financial though, through working, it would allow me to get under the skin of a city I had read, and heard, so many great things about. I spent a fantastic 10 weeks there, meeting some fascinating people and exploring the many distinct and varied districts that make up this bustling metropolis. The city boasts some fantastic architecture, a wealth of cultural influences and an abundance of cafes, bars and restaurants. These factors, coupled with the world-class steaks, fine red wine and the locals' passion for football, all contributed to a rather pleasant stay!

Memories from Buenos Aires:

First week in the city; meeting up with Megan from PSF and enjoying some nights out with her friends Kaysa, Abby, Andy and Ben.

First tango lesson!

Two weeks of job-hunting round the bars of Buenos Aires...a good way to get my bearings!

Trying to get in to the Boca Juniors v San Lorenzo derby but, unable to get a ticket, had to settle for a "lock-in" in a Boca bar with some fanatical locals. Despite the alcohol ban, Luca the owner would lock in a few of his friends for the games and continue serving beer. So we felt quite priviledged. "I could tell you guys weren't undercover police" he said.

Juicy steak at La Cabrera!

Finding a flat in arty, laid-back San Telmo...passing many an afternoon with a coffee in Plaza Dorrego taking in the sights, sounds and the smells.

Giving English classes to Ariel and Andres in leafy Coghlan. Ariel's classes in particular were great fun and didn't seem like work at all...two hours of sipping mate and chatting politics, music and football!

Shamrock Bar - getting back behind the bar pulling pints and having fun with my colleagues, particularly on Monday nights with Juan and Stephane. The Rugby World Cup nights were good fun too, though not when Argentina beat Scotland! Practising scrums with Laurita!

Friday evening 5-a-side games under the high rises of Palermo with Nico, Nacho, the Brits and the Argies.

More 5-a-sides with Mike, Jason and co on Saturday nights in Abasto and walking back home through "Little Peru"

Theatre, tango and the house of music on an arty weekend with Florentina and friends in La Plata.

Racing Club v Independiente derby - best football atmosphere I've ever experienced!

A unique breakfast with the Shamrock crew after the birthday party.

Choripan at Freddy's in San Telmo!

Succulent steak at La Brigada with Matt and Maedhbh from PSF.

Good times in San Telmo with Elise, Charles and Svea. So many bars and cafes; Cafe Niza, La Furola, Bar Dorrego, Bar Brittanico, Hipopotamo, Gibraltar, Bar Federal and La Poesia to name but a few! Not to mention Palermo and CaƱitas!

La Boca! Beautiful spring mornings spent strolling around the barrio and Caminito. Morning coffee in Bar Roma, imagining the Italian immigrants gathering there 100 years earlier...I'm sure the place has hardly changed!

La Bombonera and Boca Juniors! Fantastic experience...once we finally got in (might have involved a bribe to one of the local constabulary!)

Best steak yet! Being treated to a meal on my last night in Buenos Aires by the boy fae Barlarnock.

Visiting Colonia, Uruguay with Alejandra from Bogota. Great fun, friendly locals and a superb parilla! Good chat with the restranteur as well..."Quien te quita lo bailado?"


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Casa RosadaCasa Rosada
Casa Rosada

Presidential Palace
Buenos AiresBuenos Aires
Buenos Aires

Rush hour at Constitucion station
Buenos AiresBuenos Aires
Buenos Aires

Avenida Santa Fe on the way to work!
La BocaLa Boca
La Boca

Caminito
El Diego!El Diego!
El Diego!

Boca's favourite son!
La BocaLa Boca
La Boca

Who's the boss?
La BocaLa Boca
La Boca

Colourful houses belonging to Italian immigrants, most of whom arrived from Genoa in the second half of the 19th century.
La BocaLa Boca
La Boca

Artwork depicting life in La Boca during the 19th century
Republica de la Boca!Republica de la Boca!
Republica de la Boca!

The Genovese immigrants declared Boca independent in 1876, raising the flag of Genoa above the barrio. Their "independence" lasted but one day after the Argentine President Roca marched in and is said to have lowered the flag himself!
Boca MuralsBoca Murals
Boca Murals

Mural depicting the "Dirty War" and tributes to the "disappeared". "30,000 reasons never to forget"
Boca MuralsBoca Murals
Boca Murals

Tributes to the "disappeared"
Boca MuralsBoca Murals
Boca Murals

Depicting the resistance to the Military Junta
La BocaLa Boca
La Boca

Cafe Roma
Cafe RomaCafe Roma
Cafe Roma

The portrait on the wall is the legendary 1930's Tango singer Carlos Gardel


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb