B to the A


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
April 10th 2011
Published: April 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

BA


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
A huge city with so much to see; plazas, museums, monuments, parks, restaurants, cemeteries of the rich and famous, historic subway cars, and (by coincidence) Noche de Vela: an entire night of city-sponsored culture starting in the evening and running until the morning. It was this night (of the day we had originally planned to leave) that we saw the Moscow Symphony Orchestra perform at the Obelisque in Republic Plaza BA. Pretty amazing.
Stayed with a local who rents her home out to travelers, and it was a very peaceful spot. Had delicious pizza at a local landmark, El Cuartito (thanks for the 411, Erin!). Drank delicious table wine that only cost $2 USD per bottle. Explored each of BA’s neighborhoods by foot. Went to the Japanese Gardens, but it was packed with tourists and we essentially turned around and left. Moved on to the rose garden, Rosdale, which was situated in another huge Palermo park (think Wash Park on a Saturday morning times 50) but it was spread out enough that it was enjoyable. We took a basic tango lesson at La Viruta one night. The club then spins a mix of tango and salsa tunes for several hours which was super fun. Finally, at 2:30 am, the awesome live tango band began to play; a bunch of cute old dudes with accordions! We were amazed. Still, even after some nightlife conditioning, we couldn’t hang and headed home shy of 4am while the band played on.
Spent a few extra days figuring the details of the rest of the trip. And, finally decided to head south. Wait ‘til you see….



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Only a garden hoseOnly a garden hose
Only a garden hose

...but I was fooled for a moment
The ObelisqueThe Obelisque
The Obelisque

Illuminated on Noche en Vela
The scene on Noche en VelaThe scene on Noche en Vela
The scene on Noche en Vela

This was the crowd the orchestra drew


18th April 2011

Loved the entry, glad to know you two are okay...Saw you online writing this, David was talking to his daughter, so couldn't catch ya...Take care and tell my wayward son to email me once in awhile. Where to next?

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb