Arrival and Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
February 27th 2010
Published: February 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The journey begins with a mad dash from the office to LHR to catch the plane. It makes a change from getting the Northern Line back home to Tooting, or jumping on my bike ro ride home.

The flight was horrible. Not because of the food, the other passengers or the crew but because it lasted for about 16 hours. The person in front reclined their seat for nearly all of the journey whcih meant that my nose was 6 inches from the back of the seat in front of me nearly all the time. And I had to fold my legs into place as there was so little room. After about 9 hours in the plane I finally realised how far away from home I was going and got a little worried. So i just had some more red wine.

Anyway, we landed safe and sound - in Brasil. This was a planned landing though. It was maddening seeing all these poeple get off, knowing that we had another 3 hours to Buenos Aires. When i finally goy off the plane it was like being drunk and hungover all at yhe same time. Not nice.

But being here in Buenos Aires has entirely made up for it as it is a great place. First of all - it is lovely and warm - not too hot or humid - and certainly a great change from the UK winter. I am staying in San Telmo, one of the oldest parts of the city, with lots of late 19th century houses whcih have been converted into tenements, but are now being renovated. It is a mixed area but they say on the way up again afyer a long period of neglect. A bit like Tooting.

Two highlights - as I have gone on for lomg enough. The afternoon I arrived, I went for walk around and ended up in the converted docklands area which has a mix of old brick warehouses and big modern buildings. The sun was just setting and the tall buildings and old buildings were all relecting in the still water of the docks. It was lovely and warm. There was a cold beer. I guess it was then i relaised I was on holiday.

The second was the bike excursion round some of the oldest parts of the city and some of the newest. It was about 4 hours of riding and stopping. We went to Bambonnera, the la Boca football stadium on the way to the neighbourhood of La Boca with all these painted houses, live musinc and an art market. Luvky iyt was the beginning of the trip so I did not buy anything. We then crossed some very big roads and ended up in the an area of reclaimed land which has been turned into a giant nature reserve - complete with wild guinea pigs. It was agood way of seeing some of teh city as, in reality, I was only there for 48 hours.

Steak dinner, more red wine, then bed. Up early for the flight to el Calafate, in teh south of Patgonia to see the glaciers and do some outdoor thimgs. Next time will try to upload some pictures that i took in BA on the bike ride.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb